Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the story I have a 5 year old Golden Retreiver and when we got her at 6 weeks old she never defecated in her crate. She didn't pee in it much either. She was potty trained in about 2 weeks. Well we just added another puppy to our house. I bought an English Setter puppy to go grouse hunting with. My Golden is gun shy and I can't break her of it so I had to bite the bullet and get another dog. BTW we kept our Golden just added another dog. So I have had the English Setter, Slash, for a week now. She is 8 weeks old and she has defecated in her crate about 4 times. Once at night and the other 3 times during the day. Today was the latest one. My wife meet me out for dinner after my kids hockey game. She took the puppy out twice before meeting me but she wouldn't go. When we got home after about a hour of being gone Slash had defecated in her crate. My wife realized that she shouldn't have meet me out until the puppy went #2. Is this common or is this not a common thing? I don't want to end up with a dirty dog and am not sure what to think. I am thinking maybe I was spoiled with my Golden. Any insight into this problem would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
at 8 weeks she's barely weaned... she simply can't hold her bowels yet. Give her VERY frequent opportunities to go outside, and your incidences of pooping in the crate will go down. If she gets to 4 months and it's more than an occasional accident, THEN worry about it.

Do you expect a baby to be potty trained right out of the womb?

·
Registered
254 Posts
A friend taught me this technique which I used successfully on two labs. If they go in the crate, the crate is too big. Make it smaller with a movable board. Peg board and heavy wire works well. Then expand their space as they grow. They typiclly won't go where they sleep. Also, like mentioned, get them outside often as possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drsfmd,
That is why I asked the question. I think I was spoiled by my Golden not defecating in her crate.

wrj,
I have a divider in the crate and it is already really small. That is why I was concerned I have heard the same thing that they won't poop where they sleep.

Also trust me this puppy is let outside alot.

Chuck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I have no problem being patient with my new pupppy. Just want to make sure I am doing everything right. I think I got extremely spoiled by my Golden and have not other experiences to go off of.

Chuck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Remember to praise her with much enthusiasm when she goes potty outside. When Bailey was still around 8 weeks he had a couple accidents in his crate. I recall one time getting up in the middle of the night to let him out because he was whining and he was completely covered in S**T!!! Felt bad for the poor guy. Washed him up and sanitized the kennel and all was well. It does happen, as the pup is still very young. I would often let Bailey romp around outside until he finally went, and call him back in and give him a treat. Then I would let him sit around in the kitchen for a while and after a bit it was back in the crate.
Oh and always keep the crate open when you are letting the dog "hang out", I used to throw toys in there and treats to get the dog to go in, as my first Brit would not even get close to her crate...Hated it. I don't keep a crate in corner of the kithen anymore but he still sleeps right where it used to be.

What I would not recommend is any sort of punishment for this action! The last thing you want is any sort of negative association with the crate! I cannot emphasize this enough. The most you ever need with a pup of this age (especially the soft tempered setters) is a slightly overtoned "nope"...

All of the other posters have hit this on the head....

Small crate to pup ratio
Frequent release to outdoor area
consisten meal planning

If you do suspect anything wrong with puppy I recommend getting the puppy to the vet. Especially if this persists for a couple weeks. Pups can come from breeders with all sorts of different immune issues. What is happening is normal but if something feels wrong it is definantly worth your while to have it checked out.

I forgot to mention this but make sure after the accidents, to do a completely thorough job of cleaning. Clean things in the crate weekly as all sorts of bacteria and stuff can form in there. This can lead to vet trips also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.