Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys,

First post here, long time lurker. I just had a quick question and wanted to see if anyone had experienced a similar problem. I bought a NIB Remington 870 express in February. I'm type A when it comes to new purchases so I looked over the gun when I bought it and saw no imperfections. While patterning it for NYS turkey season yesterday, I noticed a small chip/ding/stamp? on the left side of the barrel, about an inch down from the receiver. I really don't know how to describe it other than it looks like a chip in the finish and it kind of flaked off and just fell out. I checked the inside of the barrel for damage and found none. I might have caused it when out small game hunting in March, but I honestly don't remember abusing it. I don't know if it's worth sending it to Remington for warranty work being so close to turkey season opening.

What are your opinions on this? Has anyone had a problem like this? I've attached some pictures. Not the best quality, but they can provide some insight. Thank you for your time.
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w52 ... 1492516405
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w52 ... 1492516614

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Welcome to SGW!

While that could have happened at the factory; or could be the result of some kind of particle under the finish that caused it to flake off - I think that's unlikely.

I believe it's most likely due to something that happened in the field as you mentioned you were small game hunting.

Here's how I'd look at it. You have a nice functional hunting tool. It's a $350 shotgun, not a museum piece or something meant to be locked away for appreciation.

I would put some CLP on the barrel from time to time and especially make sure to cover that spot; and go out and get some gobblers with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellers. That was my thought as well. I'll keep the gun well oiled, especially that spot, keep my eye on it and sling some lead. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Isn't that one of the normal stampings?

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Google 870 barrel markings, images. It looks to me like a normal barrel marking.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Randy -- I also believe it is a normal stamp as Jim said.

I have a newer 20ga 870 Express that has a stamping of something like WK, MK, or backwards K. Anyway, something like that stamped on the barrel in the same place as yours.

An older 870 Super Mag Express I have has what looks like an EX stamped in that location.

If you will post this in the Remington forum I'm sure the Remington experts will confirm and explain.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts