Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm new to the board - nice place.

I wanted to hear some opinions. I was in the market for a decent O/U that I can use to get started shooting skeet (right now I am using my 870 pump). Didn't want to spend over $1,000 and was close to a new Red Label, Weatherby Orion Upland or an SKB - all around $1,000.

I just found a used Ruger Red Label 12 ga O/U. 98%, 26 inch barrel, 6 chokes, ported barrel, Kickeez pad. $675

Did I get a good deal? I think so. I could buy this gun new for $995. Haven't seen one used near this price. What do you think?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome to SW! This is a fun forum isn't it? It sounds like you got a fabulous deal on the Red Label, especially with the ported barrels. If you ever have trouble with the short barrels stopping your swing, try removing some wood from inside the stock to shift the balance forward. If I remember right, though, Red Labels are pretty much barrel heavy to begin with. Great buy!

·
Registered
541 Posts
That is an awsome deal. I would have jumped on it and been in the dog house with the wife for a while. I think you got a heck of a deal and BTW Welcome to SGW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the opinion on this deal. The guy I bought it from is a NJ dealer that works out of his home and he is selling it on consignment for a friend of his. He said that the friend told him if he can get $675 for it to just sell it.

I have had limited dealings with the guy but he seems like a very straight up fella. I can return it if I don't like it anyway.

The only issue with it is that the previous owner had a sling swivel screwed to the stock so there is a screw hole - not a big deal. I just can't wait a week to get my hands on it.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - finally picked this gun up and shot it today at my range. I didn't shoot at my usual skeet range but fired about 75 rounds on targets launched from my Trius. Bottom line. The gun is great - shoots where I point, balances pretty well and feels good to hold. I patterned it on a turkey target at 25 yards and it seems to shoot just slightly high but that could be the operator too. Recoil with 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/8 loads was no worse than my 870 with the same load. I think I'll be happy with this O/U and for the money I paid - it's a no brainer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.