Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm new to the board - nice place.

I wanted to hear some opinions. I was in the market for a decent O/U that I can use to get started shooting skeet (right now I am using my 870 pump). Didn't want to spend over $1,000 and was close to a new Red Label, Weatherby Orion Upland or an SKB - all around $1,000.

I just found a used Ruger Red Label 12 ga O/U. 98%, 26 inch barrel, 6 chokes, ported barrel, Kickeez pad. $675

Did I get a good deal? I think so. I could buy this gun new for $995. Haven't seen one used near this price. What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the opinion on this deal. The guy I bought it from is a NJ dealer that works out of his home and he is selling it on consignment for a friend of his. He said that the friend told him if he can get $675 for it to just sell it.

I have had limited dealings with the guy but he seems like a very straight up fella. I can return it if I don't like it anyway.

The only issue with it is that the previous owner had a sling swivel screwed to the stock so there is a screw hole - not a big deal. I just can't wait a week to get my hands on it.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - finally picked this gun up and shot it today at my range. I didn't shoot at my usual skeet range but fired about 75 rounds on targets launched from my Trius. Bottom line. The gun is great - shoots where I point, balances pretty well and feels good to hold. I patterned it on a turkey target at 25 yards and it seems to shoot just slightly high but that could be the operator too. Recoil with 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/8 loads was no worse than my 870 with the same load. I think I'll be happy with this O/U and for the money I paid - it's a no brainer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.