Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Savage posted a video on its facebook page this morning. The video, with voice-over by Tom Hanks, speaks of the legacy of Ansley Fox and said there is a new Fox Model A to be "presented" by Savage. Video shows lots of hand work, beautiful wood and fancy engraving.

What are the chances that Savage is going to fire up Fox production here in America? None, I'd say. --- ETA: SEEMS I'M WRONG --- Somebody attending the NRA convention in Atlanta this weekend needs to stop by the Savage booth and give us a report.

I don't know how to link to an individual Facebook post, but here's Savage's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SavageArms/

ETA: THey did a live video on Facebook. They're saying it's AMERICAN MADE. They're talking $5,000.
ETA2: They're made by Connecticut Shotgun Company!

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
I really did not need to see that in my present stage of shotgun life.
Should they be a faithful recreation instead of merely be given the name the choice of which sub gauge could be difficult.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VictorGK said:
I really did not need to see that in my present stage of shotgun life.
Should they be a faithful recreation instead of merely be given the name the choice of which sub gauge could be difficult.
My suspicion is that your temptation will be short-lived. Savage sells over/unders, too, you know . . .

ETA: Oh, me of little faith . . . :oops:

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I found a 1932 A H Fox Special 16 ga made by Savage last year that has joined me on the dove season opener in Missouri and my annual quail hunt in the piney woods of Alabama. It performed flawlessly and after fitting a new recoil pad (SC-100) with a tapered spacer, I shoot it nearly as well as any gun I own. If Savage can come close to reproducing the A H Fox, then I'm all in, even if it's made in Turkey. The only other alternative for a new A H Fox would be a very pricey CSMC gun, but I haven't figured out how to convince my wife I need a $20,000 shotgun to hunt birds with.

The A H Fox was a very well designed gun, that could be faithfully reproduced by caring craftsmen. However if it is another gun like the "new" L C Smith that was nothing but a sideplated boxlock instead of the original sidelock, I'll just have to keep dreaming about a new CSMC A H Fox 16 ga.

·
Registered
24,350 Posts
Doesn't CSMC own the name?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oneounceload said:
Doesn't CSMC own the name?
On their rollout video this morning they said that CSMC licenses the name from Savage.

I'm trying to make it through the video now (lot's of streaming issues) but if I heard it right, they're implying that CSMC is making these guns for Savage.

ETA: I was able to get the video to stream. Connecticut Shotgun is making these for Savage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any word on when they will be available for delivery? At work, can't watch the videos

·
Registered
24,350 Posts
Handmade by CSMC? I don't think so............but well-done machine made is more likely. I wonder if the internals will replicate the original or the RBL?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rooster booster said:
The Fox guns they put out now are very nice.....but a tad North of $5k
On the roll-out video they were talking about a $5,000 price point.

Honestly, my thinking is that if you have $5,000 to spend, there's a bunch of good original Foxes that could be bought for that kind of money.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Bladeswitcher said:
Honestly, my thinking is that if you have $5,000 to spend, there's a bunch of good original Foxes that could be bought for that kind of money.
Agreed, plus my buddy's $5,500 CSMC "Model 21" over-under was not that well made, especially for a gun in that price range, and had to go back to Connecticut twice.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Hand finished explains a few things.
So could Savage and CSMC have a joint project?
Plenty of people know of Savage-Fox for marketing but how many know of CSMC ?

·
Registered
24,350 Posts
VictorGK said:
Hand finished explains a few things.
So could Savage and CSMC have a joint project?
Plenty of people know of Savage-Fox for marketing but how many know of CSMC ?
This is a joint project with CSMC making the guns for Savage. Those who do not know CSMC are more likely to be those who only remember the inexpensive Savage/Fox "B" series (I have one in 20) and when they see the $5K price are going to be wondering "why?"

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Will this be CSMC making the lower grade Fox guns to compliment their higher grades, or deprecate completely?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd pay 5k for a new Fox. For me, the only vintage shotguns worth buying are British :). Be nice to shoot normal length shells though...

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
The video shows the gun plainly enough, but the receiver does not have the sculpting on the forward end that distinguishes the Sterlingworth. They also only list 12 ga and 20 ga on the Savage website and barrel lengths of 26" and 28". No 16 ga listed, it would have to be a pretty special gun for me to plunk down 5 grand for a 12 or 20 ga. CSMC already makes an A grade A H Fox, but they get nearly 20 grand for it. If CSMC is involved in this venture, I'll bet it isn't going to be a real Fox for 5 grand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I saw a couple on display at the NRA convention in Atlanta today. I stopped and looked at one....it had a case hardened receiver and nice wood but nothing I had any interest in so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. It had FOX in big letters on the display stand.

·
Registered
24,350 Posts
Jimslim said:
I saw a couple on display at the NRA convention in Atlanta today. I stopped and looked at one....it had a case hardened receiver and nice wood but nothing I had any interest in so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. It had FOX in big letters on the display stand.
Case colored HARDENED or just Case COLORED? Thee is a big difference; colored is easily done with a cyanide process as opposed to bone charcoal hardening....

·
Registered
113 Posts
oneounceload said:
Jimslim said:
Case colored HARDENED or just Case COLORED? Thee is a big difference; colored is easily done with a cyanide process as opposed to bone charcoal hardening....
Not sure I would know the difference. Looked nice with deep colors but I'm certainly no expert.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts