Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my boy to a clays course last year-we both loved it, so I'm looking for a gun. I'm an occaisional shooter now, but I would like to compete someday. Would you start w/a Remington 1100 classic trap or sporting? What is the difference, and is there anything as good in that price range?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Your question leads to many more questions. What are you going to use the gun for ? Trap, Skeet Sporting clays or just all around shooting and hunting. I have an 11-87 (with two Barrels & removeable chokes) that i can use for skeet, trap or sporting clays. The Remington 1100 is a fine gun to start out with. When you get more experienced you will want a dedicated trap gun etc.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
For clays and hunting I'd go with the new Classic Field model or even a used 1100 w/tubes.
My nephews 1100 (was his granddad's) will handle everything from light target loads up to 2 3/4" mag field loads.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
bridgeburner said:
Look at a Beretta 391 sporter with a 30" bbl.

The Remington only comes with a 28" bbl in the sporter right now, though a 30" will be available soon.
Get the Remington and spend the nearly $300 you will save on ammo and shooting fees. That will make you a better shooter more quickly.

My SC gun is a 28" 11-87 and I can't say I miss the additional 2" up front. The gun swings and follows very nicely.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
deadapair.... did you ever try a 30" tube? You might like it, especially for longer targets. The Beretta is a lighter gun up front and the 30" 391 swings like a 28" 1187. It's also somewhat adjustable with the stock shims and two different recoil pads.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Mitch61 said:
Took my boy to a clays course last year-we both loved it, so I'm looking for a gun. I'm an occaisional shooter now, but I would like to compete someday. Would you start w/a Remington 1100 classic trap or sporting? What is the difference, and is there anything as good in that price range?
I own both an 1100 Sporting 12 and a 1100 Classic Trap. Using the appropriate choke, I have tried each gun at trap and skeet. The Sporting 12 is my primary skeet gun. Although I love them both, I feel the Sporting 12 is more versatile. I've had my Sporting 12 nearly 2 years, and around 8500 rounds with no problems at all. Both target grade 1100s came from the factory with outstanding, highly figured wood. Fit and finish are excellent, and both guns have been completely reliable.

New prices range between $750-$800 depending upon which 1100 you choose. You will spend at least 10-30% more to buy an equivalent foreign semi-auto.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
deadpair wrote: "Get the Remington and spend the nearly $300 you will save on ammo and shooting fees. That will make you a better shooter more quickly. "

If you put lessons in that I would almost be willing to agree with you. The Remington 1100 is a very fine shotgun and it would serve the intended purpose well until you went turkey hunting or goose hunting and needed 3" shells.

I would suggest a Beretta 3901, 390 or 391 over the Remington as an all purpose shotgun due to the shim system that will help fit the gun and the 3" chamber. I will not buy a shotgun without a 3" chamber again. I think that by shopping around it would be possible to find a good deal on a Beretta and not have to spend the $300 more on a shotgun.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have a used 1100 with a 30" barrel, full fixed choke, and I wish I had a 28" barrel on it instead. The gun is a bit too front heavy, especially since my other shotguns are o/u with 28" barrels. You should be able to find a used 1100 for about $450 or maybe even less in excellent condition. Mine is very reliable and I highly recommend the 1100. There will always be time to buy more expensive guns that aren't necessarily much better later.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
There are a few models in the price range of the Remington that have more features and better quality. The Beretta 3901, Franchi 720, Weatherby SAS, and the Winchester SX2. For a little more coin you can step up to the Berretta AL 391 or Browning Gold.
If you plan on more hunting in the future. All of these models in a field version will have 3" chambers and weigh less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.