Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my shotgun is starting to rust in little spots and is nicked and scared lightly what can i do to refinish it?? could i use the same process as painting a car with primer and high heat metal paint?? thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guest! I have to tell you, I asked on various forums the same basic question, and was told to use "Brownells aerosol Baking Lacquer". I called them with questions to make sure that the product would work with an aluminum receiver, and the tech said it would be perfect! I read and followed his instructions, and the can's to the letter! My wife was off from work and helped me and even let me use the kitchen oven! IF YOU LOOK AT IT THE WRONG WAY IT WILL CHIP OFF!!!!!!!!!! $18.00 down the the tubes. So what I'm trying to say is you would be better off with some "Birchwood Casey Perma Blue"; or Rustoleum If your gun has aluminum Parts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Geocacher,

Lacquer, especially the baked on variety is a very hard finish that is prone to chipping. The real problem may be the prep in this case though. On a highly polished part there would be no way for the finish to grip. I could be way off base here but, in my experience with coatings, if the part is finished much finer than 600 grit; then the finish just won't get a good bond. The other option is that you got a bum batch of finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts