Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17 and looking for a new shotgun mine is a mossberg 500 in 12 gauge and I dislike it because I can't pump fast enough for doubles and the recoil when I'm using it for clays gets bad after a 100 shells. I would love a 16 gauge I heard its hard to find shells and I don't reload. 16 or 20 semi-auto . I never waterfowl hunt and really have no need for heavy loads. I have tried a benelli legacy in 20 gauge and it felt like it had more recoil than a 12 gauge so I would prefer a gas operated gun. Is it easy to find 16 and 20 gauge shells. I weigh a 140 so that might be why the recoil leaves bad bruises. I can hit 75% of the clays with the 12 maybe better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Even at 140 lbs you don't have to switch to a 16 or 20 gauge unless you just want to. My 13 year old son weighs 110 lbs and he shoots a 12 gauge Mossy 500 using a Hogue short stock that has a Benelli recoil reducer in the stock (I had one laying around and grafted it into the stock), and a "Limb Saver" brand recoil pad. The combination of the 2 makes for a very soft recoil even on a 12 gauge. Before he was shooting a 20 gauge single shot and it was kicking the livin heck out of him! :shock:
Since you didn't mention a budget, but guessing that at age 17 you may be looking for something a bit less than a $800 auto, a used Rem 1100, 1187, or even Beretta 390 might fit the bill, and are all very good gas auto's. If your budget is +$800, the Beretta 391 is a great gas auto gun that you might consider too. If the gas auto's still kick too much to be comfortable after a long day of clay shooting, take a look at the Limb Saver pads, they really do make a difference in felt recoil IMHO.
http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/fire ... earms.aspx

Regards,

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Mossberg Man-- There's an extended discussion of the role that fit plays in reducing felt recoil on a thread in the "New Shotgunner's" Forum. Scroll down the main index and you'll see it. The thread is called "Recoil Differences," and was started by CT. Rollin Oswald, JMCCOYB, and Ulysses have provided extensive information on proper fit and correct loads to use in that thread; you might want to check it out.

Good Luck,

Jeff23

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would seriously consider the following in 20 gauge if you want an autoloader: Beretta 390, Remington 1100, or Franchi 620. Either of these are wonderful guns, new or used at affordable prices. I currently own a Beretta 390 and love it. I have the Walmart version. I have shot around 500 rounds without any problems. I also have a new 1100 Classic Field 16 gauge and love it. The shells are really not that expensive. If you don't plan on duck or deer hunting, I would go with a 16 or 20 gauge. Just my opinion. I agree on the 20 gauge Benelli having too much recoil. I had one and sold it for the Beretta 390.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.