Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reload approximately 10,000 rounds per year for trap shooting and have recently noticed a change in AA hulls. The newer hulls have a separate base wad as compared to the old ones which are 1 piece compression molded. I have kept them separate and am only loading the old style currently. Does anyone know if the two hulls are interchangeable? Also I have been partial to 1 piece hulls as there is no chance of the base wad leaving the hull and getting lodged in he barrel. Any thoughts or reccomendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Winchester claims the hulls are interchangeable, but use your own judgement and loading data when working up your loads. (Don't take my word, or anyones word for it. Look up the data in a reloading manual.)

The one thing you need to watch is on occasion a wad will hang on the base wad and not go far enough into the hull. When this happens the shot will be too high in the hull and not crimp properly.

Mark

·
Registered
130 Posts
I stopped loading AA's entirely due to the problem with the wad hanging up on the basewad :( . I was spending way too much time cutting up bad shells to salvage the components :evil: . Every one of the reloaders at my local club have stopped reloading AAs also. Now you hardly ever see a box of AAs shot at our range. Take this for what it's worth, one person's opinion and make your decision on your own experience. --- AFG

G

·
Here is what I have found-you have to use a powder charge in these newer AA's that puts the height of the powder above the base wad or be sure that the wad you are using is tapered at its bottom to allow it to easily slide into the top of the two piece base in the hull. Personally, I like the components I have been using-don't like to change them around much or make adjustments to my loader. So, I am saving all the new AA's I get and plan on using up all the old ones first. I have loaded a few 1 oz loads with Claybuster wads and have had no problems. 1 1/8 oz loads are another story. I have to use a Winchester wad to get away from the problems others have noted. Too, the newer ones seem to leave the center of the crimp open slightly, and I don't want to make adjustments to compensate for this. Heck, I may just switch over to STS's-they load great.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I too had some problems when I was loading a 3 dram 1-1/8th load, since switching to Clays powders from RedDot and I've always used the Claybuster wads I can throw whatever hull, STS or AA (new or old) and get no problem shells. Everything stays the same except the hull.

G

·
Hey Rick, weren't you going to get a new Dillon loader? Will you set it up like the info on the Winchester site recommends? I just looked at that info, and it looks like it addresses all the problems I noted when I posted earlier today. This includes increased wad pressure if you use a "taller" powder charge to stay above the base wad as well as the crimp problems. Interesting to note that they (Win.) feel like you can use these same adjustments for their old style hulls, too. Think I will wait until several thousand hulls pile up before I make those adjustments as mine work fine right now for both the STS and the old AA's.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I doubt I will follow winchesters rec's, the person that is selling the loaders has them set to load just about any hull, and I will likely let him walk me through it. He's been at this a tad longer than I have been alive.

I close on my house on the 30th and sometime in the next month the Blue Press will be coming to the shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts