Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I am brand newto the gun/shooting scene as I have just picked up my first shotgun this weekend and went skeet shooting with some friends and just fell in love with it! Shot 9/25 was my best and first time ever shooting a gun!I am trying to find my own shotgun now and I have been reading on this forum trying to get some recommendations and figure out what would be the best to get for a first timer. I got to use a 12G O/U and it was very easy to shoot and I nailed alot of clay on my first outing..Id love to get an o/u but dont really want to drop a ton of cash on my first gun...I only have about $3-$400 to play with...I found a few good options so far:
Remington 310 o/u for $399.99
Mossberg 930 semi-auto with extras for $399.99
Remington 230 (pump) for $249.99
I know alot of ppl say that the 870 is an awesome choice for skeet/trap but unsure if I really want to have a pump-action..I also found some cheaper prices on Charles Daly at walmart but heard to stay away..I think Id really like to have an O/U or Semi but like I said I am totally new and know nothing! What would you guys recommend for JUST skeet/trap I dont hunt or anything like that so its just for fun...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Howdy and welcome tshepp!
I also have a Stoeger Condor and like it very much. I am quite enamoured of the Rem/Spartan 310 and especially their 210 SxS in 12 Ga. Very nice/sturdy guns for the $-much like the Stoeger. I get the impression their fit and finish is a little better though. I agree that you should stay away from Walmart as well as the Charles Day. I may take flack from C.D. fans but; our local chapters of D.U. in Rockland and Orange Co.s in NYS raffle off alot of these (and Bennelli Novas) guns cause they're CHEAP! Have you ever seen an ad for aftermarket stuff for one? No. Now their chokes may interchange w/ some other models and that's fine. Me, I'd rather have something for which there is more of an aftermarket for doo-dads like chokes and recoil pads. It just expands your options in my less than humble opinion! If your set on an O/U plan on getting an upgraded recoil pad as there is nothing to absorb the recoil like in a semi. I just spent $75 having a Limbsaver pad put on my Condor and about another $45 having aftermarket fiber optic front and a steel mid bead sight put on as well. Still trying to decide in it's worth $140 for Kick's ported/extended "Smoke" chokes for it. I may just cheap out and get a set of Carlson's extended Sporting Clays units for $70. However, for a few dollars more; if it quells the recoil even marginally it'll be worth the investment!
As always, I hope this rant helped you make a decision.
BB

:wink:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Billy Boy,

Save your money on the ported chokes. They don't really make a significant difference in recoil.

Tshepp,

If funds are limited, either get a quality pump or semi-auto. The likelihood those will perform for you is a lot better than getting an inexpensive/cheap o/u and hoping it works. You may need to look at used. A used 870 Wingmaster is a quality shotgun. I have two 870 Express shotguns that have served me well too.

Keep in mind, many people hear have bought what they thought was an inexpensive shotgun, had problems with them and then bought what they should have bought the first time. Makes for expensive lessons. Of course, some have bought inexpensive and had no problems too.

Being new to shotgunning, really consider getting a good solid used pump or semi to start out with. You don't want to be fighting with your equipment as a beginner.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I talked to my uncle who is an avid hunter and he told me he really likes remington. He personally owns 3 870s and says he can fire off rounds before he even realizes hes pumping, so I shouldnt worry about pump action, he also commented that the Rem 1100 would be a very nice gun although a little above my price range...I also noticed my local dicks has the 11-87 on sale, how does this compare to the 1100? I am trying to stay around my price point as much as I can but may go slight over if need-be. I would love to get an o/u but for my price range I dont think Id get anything quality unless I could find a good deal on a used one, I told him about the Rem 310 for only $399.99 and he didnt even know Rem made an o/u and as far as that goes he didnt know if he'd trust a "cheap" o/u anyway...My uncle also said Mossberg is nice but he hasnt really used em and said its more of a cheaper build, but nothing bad...I really appreciate the feedback guys!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after reading and talking to a few more ppl heres what I have on my list;
Remington 1100 (probably used to save some cash)
Remington 310 o/u (mixed reviews but good price)
Remington 870 p/a (a favorite by many and cheap)

·
Registered
530 Posts
since your new to shooting, safety should be your primary concern and semi-autos are a little less safe than other actions. if the remington o/u is anything like the baikels, its going to be a pretty stiff action. the 870 has more then proven itself and i recently found a used wingmaster in great condition for the same price as a new express. for the money, a good used pump in several different brands would be hard to beat.
good luck and welcome to a great sport.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
adr said:
...safety should be your primary concern...
I agree 100%!!
adr said:
...and semi-autos are a little less safe than other actions...
I DISAGREE 100%!! The action type does not make the gun safe or unsafe, the person handling the gun makes it safe or unsafe...

I have never heard of ANY properly handled weapon going off "all by itself"...

Smitty

·
Registered
530 Posts
smitty, i agree with you 100% that a gun is only as safe as the person holding it. but i have seen people new to firearms get careless through their excitement and i guess i would rather someone be "trigger happy" with a single shot or pump than with a semi-auto. but your right. a single shot .22 will kill you just as dead as a .50 caliber machine gun. muzzle control and finger control will save a lot of grief no matter what you are carrying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts