Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I guess I will just trust what Kolar told me

but to be safe I get 740 chokes probably Muller the gun came with 2 Skeet 2 IC and one LM want some a little tighter for occasional trap and Sporting Clays

· Registered
77 Posts
This is a rather interesting thread. I have owned three different Kolar guns. The first was serial 1625 and it was a .740 bore standard weight barrel. The second was a High rib sporter with carrier that was .750 bore. My present is a Max lite sporter .740 bore. With all that in mind I didn't know Kolar ever made a .735 bore. Mind you I have had only sporting guns but some friends have had trap guns with .740 bores. I can't imagine they would make skeet guns any differently. Also briley lists 740 and 750 for factory threaded barrels. As adept as they are they would have .735 if necessary. I might just have to call my friend at Kolar on Monday and find out.

· Registered
411 Posts
This is a rather interesting thread. I have owned three different Kolar guns. The first was serial 1625 and it was a .740 bore standard weight barrel. The second was a High rib sporter with carrier that was .750 bore. My present is a Max lite sporter .740 bore. With all that in mind I didn't know Kolar ever made a .735 bore. Mind you I have had only sporting guns but some friends have had trap guns with .740 bores. I can't imagine they would make skeet guns any differently. Also briley lists 740 and 750 for factory threaded barrels. As adept as they are they would have .735 if necessary. I might just have to call my friend at Kolar on Monday and find out.
A couple of questions. How was the 750? Do you remember the weight? How do you like the max lite and have you considered the max flat, their "parcours'

· Registered
77 Posts
A couple of questions. How was the 750? Do you remember the weight? How do you like the max lite and have you considered the max flat, their "parcours'
The 750 was the high, adjustable rib which I really thought was exactly what I needed/wanted. Once I got it all adjusted I shot it pretty well but never really liked the feel of that setup. My max lite has the standard rib which is the same profile/height of my original 740 sporter. I had them lower the comb by about 1/8 inch and drop at heel a half inch more. Fits me pretty nice. As far as the flat rib goes, that was not available when I bought mine. Wouldn't matter as I have never liked low rib guns. I've had them and shot them poorly. It's my opinion, this rib stuff is totally a matter of preference.
Weight is a factor, mainly in carrying it from station to station. Balance is the most important thing but as I get older the lighter max lite suits me a bit better.

· Registered
193 Posts
The .735 bore was produced, as I am told, to approximate the weight of the carrier barrel with tubes.
The .735 on it's own works for trap singles or doubles.
Sporting or fitasc it's a little slower on the move than my ..750 in the same length.i.e. 30"

· Registered
411 Posts
The 750 was the high, adjustable rib which I really thought was exactly what I needed/wanted. Once I got it all adjusted I shot it pretty well but never really liked the feel of that setup. My max lite has the standard rib which is the same profile/height of my original 740 sporter. I had them lower the comb by about 1/8 inch and drop at heel a half inch more. Fits me pretty nice. As far as the flat rib goes, that was not available when I bought mine. Wouldn't matter as I have never liked low rib guns. I've had them and shot them poorly. It's my opinion, this rib stuff is totally a matter of preference.
Weight is a factor, mainly in carrying it from station to station. Balance is the most important thing but as I get older the lighter max lite suits me a bit better.
Great info. Thx

· Registered
1,894 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious, but it's got scratches all over the metal. I know you must be somewhat disappointed. Tell you what; I will trade you a nice Kolar, with no scratches on it. Even up, won't ask you no difference. Deal?;):D

· Registered
491 Posts
I think the forearm is different on the Sporting but I am not 100% sure
Now that I look, I do see a difference in the forends. Reason I ask is that I primarily shoot sporting, but see a number of the used Skeet Max Lites for sale. If the forend is the only difference, I could deal with that as long as I find one for the right price.

· Registered
87 Posts
Now that I look, I do see a difference in the forends. Reason I ask is that I primarily shoot sporting, but see a number of the used Skeet Max Lites for sale. If the forend is the only difference, I could deal with that as long as I find one for the right price.
I have tried Kolars with both the Euro style (sporting) and beavertail (skeet) forends. The difference is noticeable but not one that I would turn down a gun over. That said, I prefer the beavertail; I don't have particularly large hands (cadet medium/large golf glove) and the beavertail felt the best to me.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.