Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman, just set up my Mec sizemaster. A bit trying, bought it off gunbroker and the powder check mechanism had bent during transit. I could not figure out why the powder bar sliding interfered with other linkage below it. A call to Mec rep. and he was the one that said it must be bent. Got it back in shape and all is well. Question I have is some rounds come out perfect and others have a swirl. My guess is that even though the hulls are all the same brand they very in length slightly, should I just accept it as part of the process? Made 200 rounds so far and shot my first box today. Starting too like the sizemaster more as I go. Appreciate the sticky by Curly with lots of useful info.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Slight swirl is better than open hole. You can adjust the pre-crimp up a bit if most are swirled. But ya, they vary a bit.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Yup, it's cause hulls vary in length.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Happens to me, some perfect, and some swirl, especially 28 ga. I shoot them and reload them again. Its not a big deal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I still have some boxes of loaded shells marked with a S, M or L on them for how long the shells are. I used to sort them the first time I re-loaded them so the crimps would all look the same. I never adjusted the crimper to compensate. All lengths crimp satisfactorily where crimper is set now and I don't worry about a slight opening or swirl anymore. You could just load 'em all up then separate them according to how the crimp looks before you box 'em up. Then you'd still have boxes of small, medium and long length shells and each box would have the same crimp for whatever that's worth. Shorter shells may have a slight opening, medium will be perfect and longer ones have a slight swirl. No problem.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Couple of comments:
Get a brand new box of factory ammo of the same brand. Take them out, stand them on end, and inspect their crimps. If the factory cannot eliminate a few swirlies, you probably cannot either!

Curly's notes are a huge source of info. Keep in mind they are for a 9000. They (9000 and SM) both use the same resize collet, but the collet closer is different. To adjust the SM you loosen the jam nut underneath and rotate the collet. CW as viewed from the top is smaller, CCW is bigger.

If you ever decide to go progressive, you have already learned 1/2-3/4 of what you need for a 9000 and have accumulated 1/2- 3/4 of the spare parts you will need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
albatros said:
Get a brand new box of factory ammo of the same brand. Take them out, stand them on end, and inspect their crimps. If the factory cannot eliminate a few swirlies, you probably cannot either!
Good to know, thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 25+ year old Sizemaster and it is still going strong. Simple to operate and make changes rather quickly. Nothing wrong with a little swirl or an occasional ugly crimp they all shoot the same. Not that it matters but are you using an 8pt crimp or a 6pt?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using 8pt crimps. Did the cam adjustment, but still get the occasional swirl, sometimes a real ugly one. Remington gun club hulls.

·
Administrator
23,244 Posts
Swirls never leak shot as holes in the center can do. Intermittent swirls are caused by excess variation in hull length. Ignore them and they will never bother you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
Swirls never leak shot as holes in the center can do. Intermittent swirls are caused by excess variation in hull length. Ignore them and they will never bother you.
Good to know. I just got through loading 200 gun clubs and some had a little bit of a swirl to them. I'm ok with that and don't make any adjustments to my MEC 9000. I would rather have a swirl crimp than one that is open!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts