Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new O/U for skeet, trap and occasional bird hunting. I have a Beretta A390 auto, but wanted to try a O/U. I wanted to stay around $1500. I am looking at the following:

1)Beretta White Onyx
2)Winchester Select Field
3)Ruger Red Label
4)Browning-not sure what model to look at.
5)Your additions???????
Lower recoil would be prefered over light weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially which browning to look at. Skeet would be the main use.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
510 Posts
First off, the "all-around gun" doesn't exist if you're looking for skeet, trap, and bird hunting. Most folks who get serious about trap want a gun that shoots high. Most folks shooting at birds or skeet would prefer a flat-shooting gun. Also, most competition guns will be much heavier than field guns. If you get an O/U for targets and carry it in the field, you WILL feel it quickly.

With that said, I would add the following to the list (all used):
Beretta 686/687
Browning Citori/425/525/Ultra
Sig/Rizzini Aurora

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would get a used Beretta 687 in 12g. I use mine for most clay sports (skeet, 5 stand and SC), upland hunting and as a backup to my 391 when waterfowl hunting on my friend's farm. I love mine and I believe it to be as close to an "all around gun" as I have (and I have 10 shotguns).

But you should go out and try several different guns for fit and feel before you make a purchase. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to my local shop today and got some prices on the O/U's that I was looking at....
1)Win Select Energy w/adj comb $1530
2)Win Select Field $1200
3)Beretta White onyx $1425
4)White onyx Sporting $1600

I know that the Onyx sporting is a bit over what I wanted to spend, but Looking at the options I think it may be the one I am leaning towards. I played with a White onyx(not the sport) and it fit very well. Is there a big difference in the 2 for fit?

Any experience with the 2 different onyx's? Does the different choke and barrel setup make that much of a difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
If those are your options, I agree, the White Onyx sporting is the one to get! There isn't all that much difference between the Sporting and regular field model, but enough that I'd opt for the Sporting myself!

BP

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also was in your shoes a couple months ago. I settled on a Browning 525 Field 28" 12gauge. I held 'em all, more than once, and it fit me the best. I paid $1,549.00 out the door, and it is well above my expectations, and I will shoot it forever probably. I would have loved to get the Sporting version, but I was already at the ceiling of what I wanted to spend on my first O/U. The next will be a Cynergy sporting probably next year. The Berettas are also exceptional, and I have a friend who owns a White Onyx. He shoots it for everything and I am convinced of it's quality. Get the one that fits you the best as others have stated. Chances are that if you buy one, you will buy another, so don't worry about "the best all-around gun". They all shoot!

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WINCHESTER SELECT AT CABLEAS FOR 899.00 YES 899.00 GO GET IT NOW .......PS i just got a beretta at cabelas 1899.00 but is is a 687 silver pigeon II ,i did like the winchester but the beretta has it beat by a mile

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shawn, do yourself a big favor. Puchase a Browning Citori any model, or a Beretta 682,686,or 687. They will last forever, and you always be able to get service and parts. Bob.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Simply get what fits. All the guns mentioned will outlast 2 lifetimes of shooting.

·
Registered
612 Posts
rndbbls said:
Shawn, do yourself a big favor. Puchase a Browning Citori any model, or a Beretta 682,686,or 687. They will last forever, and you always be able to get service and parts. Bob.
When you say Beretta "682, 686, 687" does that mean the Competition grade Beretta?

Or does the 686/687 numbering system also apply to Field grade Berettas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Before you decide on which gun looks better, you need to shoulder them and see if they fit. The gun that fits is the one to get. If it happens to be the berreta then get it. However, If I was you, I would get a large list of guns in your price range (be them brownings, berrettas whatever you think you'll like) and specific type and try to shoulder them all in one day. From there you can decide which gun you want. In the end if the gun doesn't fit right, your not going to hit anything with it, your not going to bring it out of the case, and nobodies going to see how pretty your crappy fitting shotgun is.

Find the one that fits then decide if you like the paint job!

Jolly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts