Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to reloading and just acquired a .410 reloader. Does anyone have any hulls they want to sell? I need about 200 or so.....thanks a million.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sirgknight;

Welcome to the games we play.

I am only one of many who has begun to reload shotshells and I too am fairly new to the game although not to reloading in general.

I would tell you and many will agree that the very best way to get your hulls is to buy some new, WW 410HS in the shot size you want and then reload them.
The reason being, that 410 hulls are so darned expensive my friend.
I had this advice when I started and it has IMHO been very good advice to have followed for about a year now.
I bought several cases in #9 and have been reloading them every since with great success, using some recommended loads that have been perfect for me and my gun and tubes.

Beyond that, good luck trying to find some at a decent price in good shape. Be careful now.

And I believe you have come to the right place as there are some of the most knowledgeable and experienced reloaders any place in the country right here on this forum.
They will also go out of their way to help you if you are sincere.

UncleFudd

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
UncleFudd said:
...buy some new, WW 410HS in the shot size you want and then reload them.
It's impossible to overemphasize the importance of getting WAAHS shotshells if you plan to reload the hulls.

In 28 gauge and .410 bore, they're the most reloadable hull around and are good for as many as 12.

For propellants, stick to W296 or H110. The "new generation" .410 powders will reduce the reload life of WAAHS hulls severely.

Don't know why they do, but they do. They don't seem to have that affect on other hulls.

No matter what powder you use, the crimps on STS hulls will self-destruct very reliably on their own, burning and gnarling inward by about the fifth reload.

The only reason to acquire STS hulls is if you can get them free (which you very likely won't).

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I'd suggest keeping an eye out for empties on the ground at the clays coarse. Someone where I shoot leaves them. I have no idea who they are, but .410's on the ground is worth the effort to bend over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great advice. I knew I was going to purchase a few boxes of shells but wasn't exactly sure which ones for reloading. Might as well get the best....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
sirgknight said:
Thanks for the great advice. I knew I was going to purchase a few boxes of shells but wasn't exactly sure which ones for reloading. Might as well get the best....
No..no...they suggested Winchester AA...the best is Remington STS!

**Flame retardant suit on!!**

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Get the Winchester AA HS shells. They're the best for reloading.

Or, try this. Buy a few boxes of each, shoot em an reload em an make your own decision as to the longivity of each brand.

The HS's will win. Hands down. I've actually reloaded HS's up to 18 times. They didn't look to good by reload 12-13 but they were still reloadable. I finally threw them away after reload #18.

I just wanted to see how many times I could reload them.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
sirgknight said:
ok....remington sts and win aa hs.....got it!
You're making a big mistake if you buy more than one box of .410 STS shells to test against the reloadability of the AAHS.

We've been down the pike on both those hulls and we know what we're talking about from costly experience.

...the crimps on STS hulls will self-destruct very reliably on their own, burning and gnarling inward by about the fifth reload.
If you want to pay $7 to $9 for a box of STS shells to learn that for yourself, be our guest. It's your money.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I knew I could get a few more responses to this thread! Im sorry if I threw you off, but I don't reload 410. I do reload 12 gauge and prefer a hull that has no basewad, as I shoot my reloads in a pump and a semi auto in addition to my O/U... but that is just a personal thing.

I also reload 16 gauge, but can't seem to find a good "basewad" free hull for those loads.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Swampwood,
It's very easy, you keep your reloads in batches. You start with once fired cases and then keep the empty cases from the second firing in a separate container. Then you load them for the third firing. Again you keep them in a separate container, and then load them for the fourth firing. Etc. Etc.

I box my shells and use little pricing stickers on the boxes to identify which loading the box contains. I place a mark on the sticker for each successive loading. I then know exactly how many firings/reloadings the cases have on them.

This way I only use reloadings that don't go beyond a certain number for tournament use. (Depending on what gauge and what case). When the cases reach that number of firings, I then religate them to practice use only, however I still keep track of the reloadings. When they reach the number of firings that I have found to be their average useful life, they are discarded, even if they would reload another time or two.

DLM

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Swampwood said:
I'm curious how do ya' track a reload shell to know it has been reloaded any given number of times?
My procedure is exactly the same as DLM's, except I don't box the shells. I use the cheap Great Value zippy quart freezer bags from Wal-Mart - about a nickel apiece and a bag lasts as long as its group of reloads.

Been doing it for more than 30 years and I wouldn't even think of reloading shotshells without keeping a count of their reloads.

Like DLM, I know exactly how many reloads any given hull is good for, but since I don't do registered skeet I just toss 'em when they reach their maximums, even though I could probably squeeze a few more pops from them.

It's a simple procedure and saves wasting time culling, in addition to keeping me informed on the history of every hull I shoot or reload.

Probably a tad too anal retentive for most folks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like thats the way. My problem is I use most of my reloads as Hunting Rounds and as such when shot in my semi-auto I don't recover all the spent hulls, thus I'm constantly adding to the mix. So I was testing the waters for some way of marking them!

·
Administrator
23,336 Posts
Swampwood said:
Sounds like thats the way. My problem is I use most of my reloads as Hunting Rounds and as such when shot in my semi-auto I don't recover all the spent hulls, thus I'm constantly adding to the mix. So I was testing the waters for some way of marking them!
Use a Sharpie pen and place a radial mark on the shell base for each loading, sorta like hour marks on a clock. Mark from the primer to the rim. Count your marks, Throw away when pitch limit is reached.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts