Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here but have been browsing the forums. I will soon be getting my PAL and want to purchase a shotgun. I would be using it mainly for the range and small game hunting. The only thing that worries my is quality, I want a gun that won't need much attention and will last me for a long time. Although I will be looking after it. The most I will be shooting will probably be 3 times a week so it will see a fair share of use. I'm not too sure what I should get but I want it to last. I don't mind spending too much but would like to keep the cost somewhat low. I like the look of the Remington 870 but wouldn't mind a side by side or over under. Thanks for the help. newguy1

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I was in the same boat. All the O/Us and SxSs available for prices near what a 870 goes for are not near the quality. In my opinion, to get a double barrel that is of the same durability and build as an 870 will cost near $1000. Some will argue this, but then some like fixing their guns a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's your price range? What are you going to shoot with it (in other words what power do you need)?

I just went through this process about two months ago. I wanted a semi-auto, because I don't want too much recoil, and I wanted a 12 ***** for versatility. For me, the Beretta 391 was the right choice. I got a used one in excellent condition for $570. New they are about 8-900.

I am thinking about buying a 20 ***** now. Also versatile (can go to 3 inch shells for power) but lighter, and I am thinking it would be better tollerated by my wife and son than my 12. So I'm thinking about a youth model 20 for them, and if they don't use it, I'll slap a full sized frame on it and use it myself ;)

If you can in any way arrange it, go shoot other peoples weapons. Only that will tell you what feels right to you. If I hadn't shot my friends 12 *****, I probably would have ended up with a pump and been frustrated with the recoil as compaired to my Beretta.

Hope that helps,

-RCD

·
Registered
76 Posts
For those of you that are worried about the recoil between a 12 and 20 gauge pump, the difference is actually not noticeable. I have shot both extensively and there really is no reason to go with a 20 ***** even for smaller shooters. I was a shooting sports instructor at a boy scout camp for 3 years and we actually used Remington 870 12 guages and 20 ***** single shots for teaching shotgun merit badge. All of my students were between 12 and 17 years old. The 20's were small and light and kicked pretty hard because of the lower weight. The kids got frustrated shooting at the clay pidgeons with the 20's because the guns were poorl balanced, gave them sore shoulders and they couldn't hit anything! We retired the 20's and handed them the 870 12's and just fed them one shell at a time. I think we put youth stocks on them but that was the only modification. The guns kicked the same or less and the kids were 100 times more successful because the 12 put out more pellets giving them a better chance of hitting the clay pigeon. The only real difference between a 12 and a 20 is the amount of pellets NOT the amount of powder or recoil. A 12 ***** will be much more versatile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get the 870, you won't be sorry. I have one and it is very dependable. Mossberg 500 is also a great gun that will last you a lifetime. You should be able to get either one of these guns at a very reasonable price. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted an autoloader and after looking at and shooting many different guns, I fell in love with the Beretta 391 Urika 12 w/26" barrel. I found a local gun shop that ordered it for me, brand new, for $695. I have been thrilled with it. It was the best fit for me... and that is the key. Find what fits you, and what you can live with/afford, and then just keep shooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.