Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my local indoor range where I am a member and they allow shotguns. Buckshot and slugs only.

I am looking for recommendations for cheap loads to start with. Shotgun shooting is new to me, so I need to put some time into getting proficient.

I have a Remington 807 combo 20-gauge with both a 26-inch vent rib barrel with Modified Rem™ Choke tube and a 20-inch fully rifled, rear- sighted deer barrel.

Should I start with shot, or slugs....some of each. And can you recommend something cheap to use.

Should I use my rifled 20" with sabots to start? or the 26" ribbed modified choke with rifled slugs or shot to start?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Any advice is appreciated.

· Registered
56 Posts
Do you have a goal? Deer hunting, self defense, etc. The type of gun you have and the shooting you describe are more like rifle shooting(buck/slugs only). If you've talking about shooting at moving targets(wingshooting) that's a completely different game.
A little more info might help.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Labluva67 said:
Do you have a goal? Deer hunting, self defense, etc. The type of gun you have and the shooting you describe are more like rifle shooting(buck/slugs only). If you've talking about shooting at moving targets(wingshooting) that's a completely different game.
A little more info might help.
Priorities would be:

1) Home Defense
2) Deer hunting
3) Small Game/foul
4) clays

I do want to be able to all these things in time, but right now I need to get familiar with shooting a shotgun. SO home defense is foremost, but I will likely be going deer hunting this season.

· Registered
27,507 Posts
Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive slugs out there. The inexpensive stuff is the wally world promo target stuff, which doesn't sound like it's allowed at your indoor range. Therefore, you will need to buy expensive slugs or go to an outdoor gun club and practice with the birdshot. That will allow you to get familiar with the workings of the gun without breaking the bank, (or your shoulder). Then a few slugs or buckshot at your indoor range for final proficiency should get the HD/hunting aspect taken care of.

Then you can work on clay targets

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oneounceload said:
Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive slugs out there. The inexpensive stuff is the wally world promo target stuff, which doesn't sound like it's allowed wt your indoor range. Therefore, you will need to buy expensive slugs or go to an outdoor gun club and practice with the birdshot. That will allow you to get familiar with the workings of the gun without breaking the bank, (or your shoulder). Then a fe slugs or buckshot at your indoor range for final proficiency should get the HD/hunting aspect taken care of.

Then you can work on clay targets
Thats what I thought.

So Slugs with the 20" rifled.
target shot and buckshot with the 26" ribbed smoothbore modified choke?

· Registered
27,507 Posts
Clays with a 26 M choke is doable; however, most skeet target are a little close, so you will need to "be on your game" so to speak.....but, IMO, that's part of the fun

· Registered
56 Posts
curlyive said:
oneounceload said:
Clays with a 26 M choke is doable; however, most skeet target are a little close, so you will need to "be on your game" so to speak.....but, IMO, that's part of the fun
Gotcha, But what about 26" modified for buckshot. 20 gauge #3 most likely.
Where are you getting "#3" lead loads if that is what you mean, or are you talking about a nontoxic load?. They haven't been made in many years as far as I know. true Buckshot( which is mainly 00 thru #4) is usually shot from wide open chokes such as cylinder choke for the best performance. I presume the range allows for small shot(not actually buckshot). If that's true I'd get the cheapest loads "Mart" shells and become proficient with that while learning the details of your gun and how to handle it. Slug shooting is basically shooting a heavy recoiling short range rifle and the same principles apply. Shoot shot from your deer barrel if you're practicing close range combat shooting. You will notice your point of impact quite well at short ranges(under 21 feet) and slugs or true buckshot won't look very different. Once you're "tuned up" you can shoot a few slugs or buckshot to see how you and the gun handles them.

· Registered
1,770 Posts
Don't know if this answers any part of your question, but.....Most skeet/trap ranges do NOT allow any shot larger than 7.5 and most indoor ranges don't allow shot any smaller than buck. You will have to decide on your use first......Jack

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am talking about #3 buckshot, made by remington or federal. I can use an size buckshot at my indoor range. Not as cheap as target loads, but the range is free for me to use since I am a member.

My question really is, is it ok to shoot buckshot through a 26" smoothbore with a modified remchoke

· Registered
56 Posts
curlyive said:
I am talking about #3 buckshot, made by remington or federal. I can use an size buckshot at my indoor range. Not as cheap as target loads, but the range is free for me to use since I am a member.

My question really is, is it ok to shoot buckshot through a 26" smoothbore with a modified remchoke
It won't hurt anything to do this but because of it's size it usually patterns better out of more open chokes in my experience and everything I've read on this subject. The range you plan to shoot makes a difference as well.

Personally, I'd use the cheap stuff for practice but it's your call. I work in law enforcement and we use traploads for training and buck only for qualifications because it's a requirement.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Labluva67 said:
curlyive said:

It won't hurt anything to do this but because of it's size it usually patterns better out of more open chokes in my experience and everything I've read on this subject. The range you plan to shoot makes a difference as well.

Personally, I'd use the cheap stuff for practice but it's your call. I work in law enforcement and we use traploads for training and buck only for qualifications because it's a requirement.
I'd rather use cheaper shot, but it's indoors, so only buckshot and slugs allowed. I/C choke and try that as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.