Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post topic says it all. I am new to the sport of shooting altogether and I always have questions. I have been reading posts on this site for a few weeks now and am impressed with the knowledge shared here. That being said, I have a few comments/questions.

I went out last weekend on my first hunting/shooting experience with two experienced gentlemen who taught me some very important lessons in regards to gun safety. We hunted for doves but did not get any "clean shots." Needless to say they let me shoot a few different guns and guages and I was hooked.

Anyhow after shooting all morning I went to my local Gander Mountain to look at the 870 and the Nova. I liked the feel of the Nova much better than the 870. My only concern is quality of service after the purchase. I plan on buying from either Gander Mountain or a reputable gun shop. If I get the Nova I want the 12 ***** with 28inch barrel (for winged hunting mostly) a recoil reducer and limbsaver recoil pad.

I know you guys will weigh-in with your opinions, so have at it.

Also, does anybody know of any places I can practice in the Columbus area (Ohio)?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Welcome to the group !! You'll find that these folks are some of the best around.

The standard suggestion for someone totally new to the sport is to enroll in a firearms safety course and, if one is offered, an advanced hunter course.

I'm not from your area, so I can't help with a place to shoot, but when you take the firearms course, there's usually a day at the range included - then you'll have at least one place... and that usually leads to more places as you meet people.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Buckeye_fan (we won't hold that against you)

Welcome to Shotgunworld, I hope we can help.

Here are a couple of links to try.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/

http://www.wheretoshoot.org

BTW the Nova is a fine gun and the first major upgrade of the pump gun in quite a few years. You'll really like the speed of the thing and the cool unloading button that allows you to eject a shell from the chamber without loading one back into it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Buckeye_Fan:

Not much to add to JLP's and WWB's advice. Just a welcome to shotgunworld and the new shotgunner's forum--we're always happy to try to help, so ask anytime!

I like 870's, but that "feel" thing you mentioned can be a good indicator. The safety course is a very good thing--you'll be glad you took it.

Best,

Jeff23

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.