Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined my first trap leauge and we had our first meeting today. I have shot skeet and sporting clays for years now and have been fairly sucessful with it and really enjoy it, so I decided to try my luck with trap. With skeet and sporting clays though I and most confrounted with crossing or quarting shots. I shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12ga. Like I said I have not shot trap before and had a few questions. In trap the target is always rising so trap guns have the high rise rib so you can float the bird on top. But I plan on using my sporting gun for trap and if I try to lead the rising bird I will have to pull through the bird and I think I will lose sight of the bird and then not know how far I am then leading it. Any help would be greatly appericated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would think with the experience you have in other Clay sports you should have a fairly easy time adjusting to trap. Keep in mind to try and get the bird on its rise or apex, keep the gun moving on the rise.

If you are a shooter who calculates leads etc, you might want to come up from below and when the bird is covered fire.

I have a Citori Clays gun that I shoot just as well as my Citori Trap gun. After a few round it will become second nature assuming the gun shoots where you are looking. :)

Welcome to the game and good luck.

Happy shooting.................................Levi

·
Registered
205 Posts
I shoot an O/U for all trap games. After a few rounds at your league you will know where to smack 'em..
Welcome and have fun

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,978 Posts
Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a new gun!

That's why Trap guns have a higher POI, so you don't blot it out. Yes, it will be a little more difficult with a sporting gun, but after enough tries you'll know the sweet spot of hitting the target. Even if your pattern is 50/50 with a sporting gun, you've still got 50% above the line of site...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If you shoot with both eyes open you should be able to see the target under the barrel.

If you shoot with one eye closed, you have to trust the force.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Raise the comb on your stock so you can see the bird when you shoot.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Driller has it right. Doesn't matter if the shotgun has a level rib sporting barrel on it. Raising the comb, raises the POI. A higher impact will help you see the target better through the shot process. Looking up the rib as if were a ramp will become familiar and not effect your shooting skill. With very low to the barrel ribs, heat distortion off the barrel during the summer may become a visual issue.

Maltzie

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If I use one of my field guns shooting trap, I just swing to the target, pull the trigger when the target is covered, and follow through with the swing. Breaks them fine. It is a bit disconcerting not seeing the target, after getting used to a trap gun, but I have to do it when I'm out hunting birds.

I also like Marists idea, of using it as an excuse to buy a new shotgun! :lol: A man can't have to many!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts