Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot four rounds of trap today (only 6 rounds ever shot). That's a fantastic feeling when you really smoke one. Pretty much broke 50% of the targets (+ or -). Sometimes it felt so natural, you wonder how you could ever miss. Other times it felt like I must be doing everything wrong. Most all my long gun experience is rifle shooting, so it's difficult to get used to keeping both eyes open. Good bunch of guys that shot along with me.

I want to be sure I learn correct techniques from the start so I can continue to progress with practice. Practice makes permanent, but not necessarily perfect.

That leads to my question for you experienced trap shooters;
:?: At what point should I take some instruction (even the basics of my positioning, how I bring the gun up, etc)? Am I better off just shooting some more and maybe looking into a book or video?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
As with golf, there is never a bad time to take a lesson. Amatuer or Master there is always room for learning and growth.
I don't really like the videos and books for gunning, just too many things going on when you're new to the game.

Take a lesson, practice, practice, practice and see what happens. Who knows maybe your inner Tom Knapp is just waiting to be released.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Practice and take and ask for advise from the old timers at your club.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'd say lessons are better than books or videos for someone starting out, and not just because I am a coach. :cry:

IF your gun does not fit, if you are cross eye dominant, if your stance is wrong, if your mount is less than ideal, if your hold point it too high or too low, then you will do things 'the hard way' and find some targets tougher than others. You will develop habits you may have to break later.

One exeption to this was Bix Biederbecke the horn player, He picked up the horn and taught himself. Did not know the fingering but playing by ear he made the right sound with the wrong valve postiions/embouchure. BUT he played great jazz.

However, he is the rare exception I have found.

Shoot a lot and listen to others is a method. If you get 'free coaching' from the guys at the club that is OK. Provided they can explain to you why they say to do something. If someone coaches you one way and says. 'just do it that way because we all do that' be careful, it may not be right for you.

Even when you get a coach who makes a suggestion, try it out, if it works, adopt what they say, if it doesn't check work, you are doing it right and if you are doing it right and it does not work, drop the idea.

Roger

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger,

Thanks for the info. Shot four more rounds today. Unfortunately, today I learned that I am cross-eye dominant :shock: One of the experienced trap shooters helped me to place some opaque tape on my left glasses lens, which helped quite a bit. I posted these questions on another site, so I didn't plan to also ask them here. But, since you mentioned cross-eye domination, I thought you'd be a good person to ask.

I wear contact lenses. I've always been right eye dominant (from pistol and rifle shooting). Could an older prescription be making my left eye dominant (right handed shooter)? I plan to get to the eye doc pretty quickly. I want to learn to shoot as well as possible (all things considered). I'm thinking that the decisions I make early on will make a big difference in the long run. For example, I feel that my gun doesn't fit as well as it could. I think I'm mounting it high enough, but I still feel like I'm laying my head down and to the right just slightly in order to place my right eye in proper alignment with the rib & beads. Should hold off on gun fitting until I sort out this eye-dominance issue? (figure out if it's the lens prescription, get used to the tape and/or dot, try a patch, etc).

Jeff

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Jeff,

Your eye dominance is settled somewhere between 3 and 6 months old :cry: . So an old prescription may not help your vision but it will not chnage dominance.

You must get the dominnace sorted before you get the gun fitted. Have you tried shooting off the dominant shoulder - if you are new enough to the sport it will not make much difference? Could you PM me to set out how you determined eye dominance? From some of your comments I am not sure we talking about the same thing. Dominance is not affected by pistol or rifle shooting for example.

If you are stretching to fit into the gun, you will, at some critical time, relax, come off the wood, and make a mess of the shot. The gun should fit you so that the rib appears to grow out of your eye, and where you eye goes the gun goes without any concious effort on your part.

Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts