Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased my new Beretta Al 391 urika2 optima sporting. I was just curious if there is any recommendations as to wether or not i should take it apart or clean any thing or lube anything. She is still sleeping in her case with bubble wrap and all. Also the manual (which is mildy wordy) gives only basic advice on the x-tra grain wood care. Should i wipe it with my silicone cloth or just use a lint free cloth with out anything on it in order to properly protect it . And should I wipe the barrel with anything special (WD-40, Birchwoods Gun Scrubber, or a dry towel.) I believe it has cosmoline? on it from the Factory.
Any Advice would be greatly appreciated, Everyone on this site is extremely helpful and part of the reason why I now own this gun.
Thanking you all in advance, Dr.D

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I am right in the middle of writing a section for my book, dealing with break-in. (See my "signature" below for a link to info on the book.) So far all I have written is an introductory paragraph saying some of them need breaking in, and some don't. You can either try it with whatever shells you want to shoot and see if it will do OK, or you can be pro-active and give it a very thorough cleaning to get all the cosmoline out, then shoot a couple of boxes of heavy loads.

See: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=129493 The last post on that thread suggests that guy's problem may have been the cosmoline, and he needed to give it a very thorough cleaning.

Look at the sticky section on this forum for the post on disassembly.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would clean it before you shoot it. I have been happy using Remington Brite-Bore and Rem-Oil on my 391. Many favor CLP Breakfree as a cleaner/lube. I own two 391 Sporting madels and didn't need to break either one in. I have between 6,000 and 10,000 shells through each of them and have had no parts break and very few jams or failure-to-fires (probably 1 or 2 per thousand).

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I am proof that a thorough cleaning is absolutely necessary. My A391, same as yours, would not cycle the second round, or the first half the time until I spent an hour with a friend who showed me everything I ever thought I needed to know about a shotgun.

I shot it for the first time today after the fight and cleaning, and it was perfect. Yes, you should strip that thing down and clean it everyplace you can think of. Then you should buy some hot loads, (STS Preimer 1 oz) is what I used and have a grand time.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yes, but I am not as quick as I used to be. I am shooting a minimum of 500 rds of shoulder knockers to break it in, or simply break what breaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts