Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Just got a new Verona LX 504 (Cabela's). I've fired about 125 rounds through it & have gotten two double fires (more like Ba-Boom than completely simultaneous) - Standard 12 ga light field loads, nothing hot -I removed the stock & thoroughly cleaned the innards with Hoppes #9 before shooting. Any thoughts on whether I should send it back or keep shooting & hope it doesn't recur? - thanks

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
If you'd owned the gun a while with no problem, and suddenly this started, I'd say the problem is definately with the gun. Since it's new, you may have a real problem or you may just be trapping the trigger. Trapping occurs when you don't get off the trigger enough after the first shot and the recoil causes you to actually fire the 2nd. A too light trigger pull, or gently squeezing instead of slapping can also contribute to this. Try it again making a conscious effort to fully release the trigger. If it's still a problem, have a buddy shoot a few rounds with it, and if the problem goes away, it's probably you. If not, it's a good bet the trigger needs some work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Thanks - could be me. In fact, the first one (after about 30 rounds) I did feel like I kept the trigger down. This particular gun has a trigger that's re-set by recoil (inertial?)- I can't dry fire two shots with my snap caps in unless I tap the butt of the gun on something after the first shot. Could be the recoil is re-setting the trigger & then it's firing again if I don't release it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Since these are new guns, I'd recommend sending it back. Let the gunsmith (Basil) at BC take a look. He's seen this problem before (on one of my new 503's) and took care of the problem. He saw a different problem on another 503 (20ga) I purchased at the same time and took care of that problem, too. But make sure they test the gun out before they send it back to you. The 20ga needed to make two round trips before they got it right (it was never test-fired after the first "fix). IMO, there was a production quality control problem on both of my guns that Basil needed to rectify. You may have something similar.

Once the problem(s) were fixed, however, they have both shot like clockwork for many thousands of rounds, in all sorts of weather, both in the field and at targets. Seems like a good fundamental design. More reliable and consistent then many, many other more highly-priced guns at my club. I really like that part. 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.