Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get my first pump or autoloader shotgun, i just have a question about camber sizes. so if i got a 3 1/2" chamber gun, can i shoot 2 3/4 sizes shells? im a little confused on the chamber sizes any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
andy

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
IF you get a pump shotgun with 3 1/2 inch chambers you can shoot: 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 inch shells.

IF you get an auto-loader shotgun with 3 1/2 inch chambers you "may" be able to shoot all three - some auto's don't like the lighter loads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive heard that you shouldn't shoot 2.75 shells out of a 3.5 inch gun, because of the cap between the shell and the barrel. Correct me if I wrong.

·
Premium Member
19,997 Posts
coolmudrunner said:
Ive heard that you shouldn't shoot 2.75 shells out of a 3.5 inch gun, because of the cap between the shell and the barrel. Correct me if I wrong.
You are WRONG. It won't hurt a thing to shoot 2.75" shells in a 3.5" gun (of the same gauge). If the gun is an autoloader, it may not successfully chamber the next round after shooting a 2.75" shell, but in no way is it harmful to the gun or to you.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Now, I have heard not to shoot rifled slugs from a longer chamber (ie a 2.75 slug in a 3 chamber) because it may deform the slug. This may be an urban legend, does anyone have conclusive proof that this is a bad/good idea? I believe I read this on the TAR-HUNT website.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
i have never heard of that before cuz when it comes to my mossberg which is a 3 inch chamber i always shoot 2 3/4 inch slug shell cuz honestly even tho i love big recoils the recoil from a 3 inch magnum slug load can get annoying real quick so thats when i switch to the 2 3/4 inch loads

·
Registered
17 Posts
hogfan81 said:
Now, I have heard not to shoot rifled slugs from a longer chamber (ie a 2.75 slug in a 3 chamber) because it may deform the slug. This may be an urban legend, does anyone have conclusive proof that this is a bad/good idea? I believe I read this on the TAR-HUNT website.
That is also where I read it, so I am wrong?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts