Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came along this board in my search for the best slug (sabot or not) for my Remington Express 870 rifled barrel (20" barrel)...
I shoot 2 3/4" primarily but will step up to 3" for tighter groupings at 50-75 yards.
I just got this gun and have tried lightfield sabots and federal rifled. I get the best grouping with the federals but am wondering if there is anything out there you guys/girls would recommend. Not really concerned with shots over 75 yards, since theres not much visability past 50 where I hunt (too much brush coverage).
Thanks in advance
-Patrick

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've always had good luck with standard Winchester slugs. I don't feel the premium slugs are worth the money at $2 a shot for the short distances shotguns are normally used for. I've never really felt a need for 3"ers either. They hurt when you trip the trigger. Every gun is a bit different and the best thing is to buy a box of everything and see what shoots best for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get out and shoot everything out of your gun you can! An accurate 50 yd shot can mean the difference between a tree or a deer. Everyone will say a 6" group is acceptable for a shotgun, but if 10 bucks will get you a 2" group, it might be a good investment all things considered. I would try the new hornadys h2k. And slug guns being what they are shoot what works for you and your gun, it may be trial and error. GOOD LUCK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts