Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started shooting skeet and have been given a citori by my grandfather. It uses standard invector chokes. Im on a budget and want a few extended chokes to start with. I can get the carlson sporting chokes for under $30 locally, but I like the look of the fn invector with the ID ring. The fn's are about $5 more but I don't see much about them. Carlsons seem more geared towards port shooting but not much info on the fn. Will I see any real performance difference between the two? I appreciate everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
No real performance difference, but if you like the look of one over the other it's worth something.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Well, the truth is, any choke in any gun with any load will be slightly different if you change any of the three. I've used both Carlsons and FN branded chokes (mine were made by Briley) in actual shooting there wasn't any difference between them. Now if you put them on a pattern board and count holes you might find a difference. IMHO, buy the ones you like best and have at it, don't let chokes be a question in your mind...No good can come of it 8)

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Welcome to ShotgunWorld, George.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Both are quality tubes. Either will do nicely. If one looks better to you, go for it. Mot of shooting well is mental. Shooting chokes you like will never hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to admit I like the looks of the anodized ID ring, but don't want to be that guy who chooses flashy over something plain that works better. My friend and I just joined a small local club and I don't want to spend a boatload before I know i'll continue with the sport. The club guys are excited for some younger members and have offered to let us test drive some of their guns including a Kolar, Krieghoff, Blaser and Zoli. Not helping my budget haha.

Thanks for the warm welcome to shotgunworld.

·
Banned
13,904 Posts
Plain will work fine. Original will work fine. Spend the $$$ on more targets at practice.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Trulock makes fine chokes, too. And they don't use "one restriction fits all" if you use the smaller gauges (other than 12 ga.)

The constrictions are properly adjusted for gauge.

That said, there is nothing wrong with using factory Cylinder, Skeet, or Imp. Cylinder for skeet if they came with the gun. I'd try 'em first before spending more on chokes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like extended chokes because I can see which one is in without staring at the front of the barrel, and I habitually tighten them at every station.

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
If $10 breaks the bank, you might want to rethink things - that difference is 1-2 rounds of skeet. If you like the ones that are $5/each more, then get them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oneounceload said:
If $10 breaks the bank, you might want to rethink things - that difference is 1-2 rounds of skeet. If you like the ones that are $5/each more, then get them.
I was trying to say only $5 more. I just don't want to go out and spend 2x or 3x that on something I have no idea if I will be doing this time next year. Our member price for a round of skeet or trap is only $2.50 so I'm going to be shooting as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I wish I could shoot Skeet for $2.50 a round, around here it's more like $9.00.
Either way, of the brands you listed both will do the same job. If you like the looks of one better than the other, go with that brand, the price is close enough to not worry about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It came with a improved mod and full. I ended up grabbing 2 of the Carlsons at the local place, both skeet. I'm pleased with the setup as I shot 5 of 6 rounds in the 20s this weekend. I'm happy with that as I had only shot 8 rounds before that.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
For skeet, yes. I typically shoot cyl/skt or skt/ic - only because I don't have two skt chokes. I'll use the tighter choke on the outgoing clay. Welcome to the sport, it's fun...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Have someone measure the actual bore of your gun. Go to the charts and get yourself one that provides the actual constriction you are after. A .715" choke in my Diamond grade is actually an extra full with .035" constriction due to a bore modification. Carlson will do what you want, Trulock and Briley will also. Larry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts