Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first round of sporting clays last Sunday, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. :D But I was surprised by one thing. I assumed that I would only be allowed to shoot one shot per target, so I took 100 shells along for two 50-target rounds.

I noticed a shooter ahead of me shooting a second time at a target he missed. Then when I missed a target another shooter told me I should have shot at it a second time. I started doing this and hit a couple of targets with my second shots.

Are there standard and universal rules regarding how many shells you are allowed to load and shoot in sporting clays? The way I figure it you can load 2 shells for each single target or target pair. If you are shooting a single target that gives you two chances at it, but if you are shooting a pair (true pair, following pair or report pair) you have 2 shots for 2 targets, and you aren't allowed to load a third shell in your gun. Is that the standard way to shoot sporting clays?

I ended up buying another box of shells at the club so I would have enough for my second round. I definitely will be trying sporting clays again at other clubs, so I want to know the proper way to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful and arcane world of Sporting Clays rules :lol:

Yes, if the course is set with the phrase "full use of the gun" it means that on a single, you can take two shots at it.

If it is a pair, either report, following or true, you ONLY load two shells. HOWEVER, if you shoot at the first targets and miss, it is a GOOD STRATEGY to shoot at that one again, rather than trying to get onto the second target. You are more likley to hit the one you just missed, you are closer to it for one thing, than the other target that you have to pick up and create lead. 50% is a good score.

Only load 2 shells regardless. And (I know you already know this) be careful if you break it with the first shot - you are still live with a semi auto.

Roger

hee hee wait till you disocver FITASC rules

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.