Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to semi-automatic shotguns. I recently purchased a 11-87 Premier 20 gauge that was in pristine condition. I was following along with the instructions for disassembly. I removed the barrel, O-ring, and piston assembly. I got to the point where I was trying to remove the action bar, but spring from the stock released, pushing the bolt forward. I tried reaching in and pressing the feed latch to remove the action bar and bolt, but as hard as I tried, the feed latch didn't really show any inclination to move. Now things seem to be stuck. I can't get the action bar removed, I guess I don't know what to do. Did I do something wrong? What do I do to get out of my self-induced problem? Not sure how to get out of this.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
My suggestion (if you haven't already tried it) would be to pull the bolt back about one inch. Then, check if the feed latch will move in by holding the bolt back while you access the feed latch from the bottom (through the carrier). If the feed latch moves in as it should, hold it there. Then slowly allow the bolt to close, pulling out the operating handle from the bolt when the spring stops driving it forward. Then grasp the action bar sleeve and pull the action bar forward. Don't force it. It should slide easily out of the receiver.

If this doesnt work, starting with the action closed, remove the trigger group by driving out the receiver pins and gently removing it. Then, you can see everything inside. Pull back the bolt about 1 inch and do everything else as described above. This time, you should be able to see what is hanging you up.

Good Luck!

PS, be careful when you clean out the inside of the receiver. There are some really sharp edges in there.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Pull the trigger group. Easiest way for me to to help online. Once the trigger group is out the action bar/bolt can be slid out easily by triping the release near the mouth of the mag tube. An easy gun to learn that once you understand them I'll be able to do it in your sleep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually reread the 1100 cleaning guide at the top of the forum, then reread portions of the 11-87 Manual. At that point I tried pushing in the magazine release on the right side of the receiver and eventually I was able to find the right way to push it in. Once I did that I was able to remove the action bar assembly and I was all set. The 1100 cleaning guide was really helpful. I feel that now I've gotten thru it this once I can do it again pretty easily.

I then cleaned and put everything back together.

This forum is really helpful! I'm looking forward to getting my 11-87 out for some trap shooting and ruffed grouse soon to see how it performs with various loads.

One question for everyone - do you take the trigger assembly out everytime and clean that, or is that more of something you do periodically?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I pull the trigger group everytime. It gets dirty also and it is way easier clean everything else with it out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The biggest thing to guard against is letting the bolt slam forward when the barrel is off. The bolt will hit the shell latch and potentially dislodge it from the receiver, then it will have to be restaked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.