Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current "heavy" recipe is: 12 GA, 1-1/8 oz shot, CCI 209 primers, WAA12 wads, 24.5 Grains of 800-X. This produces 1250 fps (according to the IMR reloading data.

There are two problems: First, 800-X is a dirty burning powder and second, no matter how consistently I try to operate my MEC 8567 (#34 bushing) I get anywhere from 24.3 to 24.7 Grains per drop. That's over 20% difference, which has to be affecting pressure and velocity (and my scores?)

I use Clays in my 16 yd loads at 1145 fps with great "drop" consistency and it leaves a very clean barrel.

So . . . . what powder should I use that has the uniformity and cleanliness of clays and the burn rate to allow for 1300 fps loads without exceeding 10,000 psi chamber pressure?

Sorry for the long post.

·
Administrator
23,325 Posts
oletymer said:
your variation is less than 2 percent not twenty. The problem with your scores are not the variation.
It is probably the first class flinch that is sneaking up on him :shock:

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Born_2_Shoot,

For Trap shooting, I would never use more than 1 oz. loads at 16 yards. You can use 17.3 Clays in a AA or Remington case for approz. 1180 FPS with 1 oz. of #8 shot. This load will give you all the performance you will ever need.

Change the wad and use 1-1/8 oz. #7-1/2 shot for 1145 FPS. Great load for handicaps back to at least 23 yards.

For 24 yards and beyond just up the 1-1/8 oz. load to 18 grs. for 1200 FPS, and use #7-1/2 shot.

Loads any heavier than these, or any faster than these, are not necessary, nor are they recommended.

DLM

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Born_2_Shoot said:
Boy, do I feel stupid. 2%, not 20%. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

Sounds like the 1145 fps shells I'm loading should do OK for handicap as well, correct?
1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 at 1150 fps will break trap birds from the 16 to the 27. I prefer 1200 to 1250 fps for handicap though. If you're loading handicap trap shells at 1300 fps, you're breaking the ATA's max velocity rule for 1 1/8 oz of shot.

My handicap powders are: Winchester Super Target (WST), Green Dot, and Winchester AA Super Handicap. The first two make nice 1200 fps loads. You can push Green Dot up to 1250 fps, but it starts to get pretty kicky. The AA Super Handicap powder lets you duplicate Winchester's 1250 fps factory loads. The first two powders are fairly clean at 1200 fps. AA Super Handicap is dirty (especially if you're loading a less than a 1250 fps load), just like the factory ammo. Doesn't really matter though, use clean Clays or dirty AA Super Handicap, still takes the same number of patches to clean the gun.

As for your 10,000 psi pressure limit, most powder need to be above that to burn clean. To get the velocity you want, at the pressure you want, you're going to need something in the burn speed rate of Unique, and that will be even dirtier than 800-X is.

~Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.