Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just recently started shooting shotguns and enjoy it so much that I need to be reloading. I have loaded my own brass for a long time on a lee turret press. Every 3 pulls and I get a round. I don't have a clue what I need for shells, though. I would prefer to buy used. I don't shoot enough to warrant a progressive, but I haven't ruled them out yet. I've done a little research and am leaning heavily towards a MEC. But I really don't know which model I should favor. My brother had a 16 ga press a long time ago (can't remember what it was) and it seems like it took 6 pulls of the handle to get a round out. I would prefer something a little faster than this. What features should I look for and what models would have them? I found a couple of Texan presses from a guy at work. Are these a good press? Should I look at other brands? I love my Lee turret press and have been loading on it for close to 17 years, but am not impressed with the Lee Load All. I appreciate any advice or opinions given. Thanks, Casey

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Forget the Lee Load-All (Tonka toys are built better) and the Texan, which has been out of production for years.

Your best choice in a single-stage press for the money is a MEC Sizemaster, which will require 150 pulls of the handle per box of shells.

Your best choice in a progressive for the money is a MEC Grabber. After you get the initial six shells in the manually advanced shell plate, you get a finished shell with each pull of the handle.

The MEC 9000G is the best choice for the money in an auto-indexing press.

I'd recommend the Grabber, especially if you plan on boxing your shells, which is simplified with the MEC EZ-Pak accessory.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Casey M said:
My brother had a 16 ga press a long time ago (can't remember what it was) and it seems like it took 6 pulls of the handle to get a round out. I would prefer something a little faster than this.
Single stage presses such as the Lee LoadAll or the MEC Sizemaster will require this number of pulls of the handle. Progressive presses will output a finished shell with every pull of the handle once the stations are filled.

With that little bit of explanation, ditto what Case wrote.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I load pistol on an RCBS special 2 single stage pres. 99% of my pistol load are shot by me. I load 12 ***** on a MEC Grabber for myself and my wife (I also have the EZ pak). I can load 200 rounds in about 1-3/4 hours taking my time (maybe 1-1/2 hours in a hurry which I don't do) and load plenty enough for us to shoot (even when I'm working and she shoots with out me).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will ditch the Texan idea and probably start looking for the Grabber. I really appreciate it, gentlmen. Casey

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Actually, Texan loaders, depending on model and condition are very good machines, IF you don't pay TOO much for them. If you break something, and that's not real likley, parts are on your own! Sure sombody else's parts may fit or be addaptable, but if you aren't into that kind of thing, your pass is probably the correct idea. I might be inclined to take one home and try it just to see if you like it, and if you do, don't pay much for it!

BP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.