Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great forum.A few questions, I want to start shooting clays in my area. I will be shooting a winchester sx2, also my favorite duck gun. Anyway, can I be competitive localy with this gear? I see all these O/U and 391 etc. Also, I do reload and plan on starting with a 1 oz load. Being new, should I shoot the hotter 1 1/8 oz loads for more shot dispertion?Thanks in advanceJoe

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just bought one about a month back to replace my junk C-D maxi mag.Shot trap last weekend with some experianced OU guys and had a blast and did quite well.They all shot it and was impressed with it.And beleave me if sucked they would ran it in the ground. Like my C-D in the duck blind. They threated to use it for a decoy anchor.I shot 1 1/4oz 7.5 Win. game loads probaly better rounds but thats all I had.Scott

G

·
You'll do fine with the sx2, as long as you get in some good practice, and make sure the guns fits you well and mounts cleanly.

I started with an old Mossberg 500 fitted with a ported 28" barrel.
I now shoot a Citori Lightning Sporting Clays Ed, and compete next to guys at my club who shoot Kemens, Kreighoffs, Berettas, H&H, 391s, you name it.

It is a combination of gun fit, good solid practice, and confidence on your part. Don't rely on your equipment to do all the work.

As for loads, I custom load 12Ga Win AA's with a 7/8 oz. duplex load (#7 1/2 + #8). Combined with nice tight chokes (LM-M), you get a very repeatable lead and impact zone.

Start with a basic gun, get good at it, then work your way up to a "nicer" gun. Use this as your "reward" for good shooting.

Have fun!

G

·
Thanks Jay! I really think this is a great forum. I've tried others, and found that they had a lot of "I'm a pro and I know everything" types, which I think is counter-productive.
We enjoy our sport in part because we can discuss the sport with fellow shooters, no matter what ability or knowledge each of us has. Thats what a good forum does - share great knowledge and experiences.
With that said, I really love this forum. The members are really knowledgeable, and helpful.
I hope my responses contribute to the group! :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gil6640 said:
Thanks Jay! I really think this is a great forum. I've tried others, and found that they had a lot of "I'm a pro and I know everything" types, which I think is counter-productive.
We enjoy our sport in part because we can discuss the sport with fellow shooters, no matter what ability or knowledge each of us has. Thats what a good forum does - share great knowledge and experiences.
With that said, I really love this forum. The members are really knowledgeable, and helpful.
I hope my responses contribute to the group! :wink:
:)

Hi:

This is my first post here, but I've noticed the friendly enviroment here. I enjoy it already, and I just found it. I think I'll be here for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
lablover,
I've been shooting trap since christmas with my SX2 field and from what I've seen, a field gun seems to be just fine for someone who's shooting as a hobby. I've been shooting relatively often and have seen guys with field guns shoot just as well as others with high dollar (>$10,000) trap guns. I don't mean to imply that there's no difference between a field gun and a trap gun, but it seems like a dedicated trap gun would be a little overkill for most recreational shooters.
Have any of the other SX2 owners found a shell catcher/deflector for the gun? Because if you have i'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lablover,

I've been told by countless shooters that field guns are not readily designed for the rigors of "high volume" sport shotgunning. Sporting shotguns are expected to go through hundreds of rounds a day. Field guns aren't.

Keep this in mind if you're considerring getting into the sport, especially if you treasure that gun. You might consider buying a separate shotgun for sport shooting, and save your sx2 for hunting.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I shot Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays with a field Beretta 686 for 8 years so I doubt that Field Guns are less able to stand up to the rigours of SC.

HOWEVER, there is another issue which is the weight of the gun, a lighter gun will tire you out faster, as it will not absorb as much recoil as a heavier gun.

That being said, I recommend that you just jump in, shoot your sx2, with one ounce loads and have fun. If you find you get hooked and become a sporting clays junkie, then is the time worry about selling the car, the house, the wife and the kids to buy another gun :p

Roger

·
Registered
520 Posts
Clays guns tend to be heavier , longer barrels and have options like porting. Fied guns will do fine for casual SC shooting. There are some very good shooters out there that can kick butt with a field guns. But if you look at the top shooters they all shoot some type of hybred clays model. As far as your SX2 being up to the job, shoot away. If you get real serious at clays then go buy a clays only gun. Most hunters will break between 5 and 25 out of 50 the first time on a clays course. It is not a game of perfect scores like trap and skeet. Keep with your loads and shoot more. Some courses offer mulitiple shooting stand from easy to hard for the same target. Shoot the easy ones until you build some confidence. Practice your gun mount and make sure your gun is long enough. Most field guns are short stocked because you will be hunting with a heavy coat on. If the gun is a little short add a spacer between the stock and pad for warm weather shooting. Remember, keep your head down and don't stop your swing !

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have had nothing but success shooting my new 870 Express super magnum at the trap range, right alongside Brownings and a Perazzi or two. Plus, come fall mine will bring home dinner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burly1 said:
The shellcatcher for a Browning Gold will fit the SX-2 to a "T". Swing hard, Burl
What make shellcatcher are you talking about? I would like to have one also. I tried the T&S shellcatcher made for the Browning Gold on my Win SX-2. It fit on ok with the bolt open, but will not allow the bolt to close.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm actually seeing quite a few sxs's at my club. There are alot of folks who do really well with them. They should give you the same or similar amount of performance as an o/u, since both have no actions to deal with, nor do they have the length of a receiver that a semi or pump require.

As for loads, 1 oz. is a great place to start. Don't worry about hot loads, as they are only one of MANY ways to enhance your shooting experience. And the extra kick will do NOTHING positive for your shoulder! I reload 7/8 oz 12 Ga duplex AA loads with great success in all games. With 30" bbls and LM chokes, I break pairs at 40+ yds without an issue. Remember that pattern is not JUST the amount of shot. You need to balance shot size, shot load, powder load, bbl length, and choke, to get the pattern you desire. Once you're dialed in, stick with whats best for you and your shooting style.

Have fun, Joe!

Gil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.