Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to skeet shooting. I shot a couple rounds for the first time last week with some friends and had a blast. I wondered why I didn't pick up on Skeet many years ago. I ordered a Beretta Xtrema which should be here in 2 days.

It will be a multi-purpose gun (hunting and clays) The gun fit me very well. (6'6" 270lbs)

My main questions are:
1. Do I need to order a skeet choke? The choke set has C, IC, M, IM, F. The gun has back bored barrels.

2. Is a 28" barrel a good all-around length for skeet and hunting? I ordered a 28". My current 870 Super Mag has a 26" barrel.

3. How much does a mid bead cost to have it installed?

4. Can a shell catcher be used to shoot doubles? I saw one in a book but it looks like the bolt will jam shooting doubles

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the sport, and have fun, be safe.

Here are MY asnwers to your questions, other may disagree -

1. Do I need to order a skeet choke? NO Use the Cylinder ot IC

2. Is a 28" barrel a good all-around length for skeet and hunting? YES it will do you for what you ask.

3. How much does a mid bead cost to have it installed? Even if it was free you don't need it so don't bother.

4. Can a shell catcher be used to shoot doubles? Yes but its no big deal to pick up the shels either, most skeet users do not bother with shell catchers

Just go have fun
Roger

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
3. How much does a mid bead cost to have it installed?

If you're looking at either bead, you just missed the target.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Just pick up your shells :) Skeet stations are far enough apart that you're not tossing shells onto the other guy's station (not like trap where people eject rounds into me all the friggin time).

28" bbl is fine.

I suggest IC for skeet. If I snuck your gun away from you, and secretly swapped out the chokes... I doubt you'd notice :)

Of course, being a 391, I might decide to shoot it for a few years before giving it back...

You did fine. Good gun.

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
Use your Cylinder choke for skeet.

I'm not aware of a shell catcher that will let you shoot doubles unless it's some kind of basket you hang on the side of the gun. Of course, it's always possible that someone makes a shell catcher that will work for doubles that I'm not aware of.

When using an auto for skeet, I just go back later and pick up the empties. Don't hold up the squad while you pick up empties.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
javven says to use Improved Cylinder while Ulysses says to use Cylinder.

Well, chokes just aren't that expensive. So, if you are going to shoot Skeet, you might as well get a Skeet choke for you gun. They call it a Skeet choke for a reason. It puts out the optimal pattern for most Skeet shooting target presentations.

The Skeet choke will work well in a lot of Sporting Clays presentations too.

Scott

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
An Improved Cylinder is a very good compromise for skeet. A Skeet tube is .005" looser than the IC and the Skeet II is .005" tighter than the IC! I doubt you would ever notice the difference between any of the 3. With a 12 ga I'm sure a Cyl bore tube is going to break any rock you are on, though I wouldn't use it if I had an IC tube.

BP

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
I don't think you'll find any serious skeeters using IC chokes in tournaments. Reason? IC is simply too tight for the short range skeet shots. Over the course of 100 targets, IC will definitely cost the experts several targets. If it will cost the "experts" several targets because of the small pattern, how many targets do you think it will cost the novice? Answer: A BUNCH :!:

The AVERAGE skeet shot distance is about 16 yards. The LONGEST skeet shot is about 22 yards when taken at the center stake on station 4. You don't need IC choke for a 22 yard shot, and you certainly don't need it for shorter shots. Until a person can break 95% or more of the skeet targets, a cylinder choke is their best choice. Even when they get good enough to break over 95%, they only need to tighten up to Skeet choke. IC is too much choke for skeet if your goal is to break the most targets you can.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Heh. Well... I guess I'll give you that.

Think on this one, tho - same guys shooting 'skeet' in their guns have:

1. So friggin much money tied up in ammo who gives a rats [email protected]#)(*! about a $37.99 choke? Yup - they do and buy them.
2. Enough other stuff that says SKEET that the gun had to say SKEET all over it, even where you can't see it. (No kidding, I shot with a guy with a cowboy buckle that said SKEET On it... complete with clays engraving and all... sad).

Oh, and they have to hit with the smaller bores, too.

For someone newer to the game, spend the $20-$60 on shells unless you're way behind. If you're not killing with IC, you're not where you should be on the bird, which is what you need to learn right away. Later - in competition the SK will be nicer to have in case you just were a little off. For now learn to hit.

Due to an unwanted backboring job I'll soon be shooting skeet with Diffusion - which really means it'll be about light mod or IC depending on how much the smith has to bore to get the rust pits out. I won't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
javven said:
Due to an unwanted backboring job I'll soon be shooting skeet with Diffusion - which really means it'll be about light mod or IC depending on how much the smith has to bore to get the rust pits out.
You know, Seminole can make custom chokes based on your "new" bore diameter....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
RGR, however, Briley already makes Diffusion as stock and I don't think you can get any thinner than that.

There's not enough meat at the end of the tube to take a larger dia. choke threading.

G

·
Chokes are only part of the formula, guys, you know that.

Load choice, bbl length and type, action, mounting style/speed, gun fit, even sight picture, all part of your setup - affect how you hit birds.

I never go below IC on my 30" bbls for skeet, based on my shooting style and loads. But thats what works well for me.

The biggest spread you'll ever get is with 26" bbls and a diffussion constriction. Heck, most clubs don't even allow anything shorter than 28" bbls.

My opinion is that you start wide, and get to 25's - this allows you to work on your shooting style, then work your way up to tighter patterns, still shooting for 25's. I know guys who shoot 20Ga 32"bbls and LM, getting 25's all day.

Its not the setup you start with, but the setup you end up with, that you want to be shooting.

Gil

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
Guest wrote: "most clubs don't even allow anything shorter than 28" bbls. "

Would you care to name a few of those clubs? I've been to many clubs around the country and have never even HEARD of any of them restricting a gun based on barrel length. Maybe I haven't gone to the clubs you have gone to.

I have shot at clubs with shotguns with 26" barrels, 23" barrel, 20" barrel, and an 18.5" barrel. No one said a word about me not shooting those guns there. One guy asked me once if I was practicing with my riot gun. I answered "Yes". That ended that discussion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.