Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new to shotgunworld and have a question about slugs. i have a 870 in 12 gauge and would like to know if i can shoot slugs with stock barrel.if yes,i would also like to know about the accuracy,range and recoil.
thanx

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
if your barrel is improved cylinder go right ahead, if it's remchoke then put the improved cylinder choke in and go right ahead. Shoot Foster Slugs (rifled slugs, ask the dealer if you're not sure) and shoot your gun a bunch trying to put 3 shot groups into a 9" paper plate. Shoot 25, 50, 75, 100 yards until you can no longer put 3 successive shots inside the plate. This will help determine your range. Once you do that then learn to shoot from sitting, kneeling, off hand positions until you know your gun inside and out....Hunt and Enjoy

Recoil is the same as a similar size/weight bird shot. 1oz of lead be it loose or solid flying at 1200-1800fps kicks X amount.
If you shoot 1oz slugs at 1800fps it kicks like a mule, if you get a smaller slug and slow it down it doesn't kick as much but your range diminishes a bunch.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
My son and I started hunting last season and we both use a 12 ***** Remington 870 express with the stock barrel. Believe it or not, I got a deer on the morning of opening day using 3" Remington Slugger ammo. I got 2 deer for the season, taking both with the 870 and rifled slugs and using an improved cylinder choke tube (I think most ammo manufacturers recommend IC choke). I also bought a red dot scope off Ebay and have been very happy with it. I paid about $25 for it. Also bought the scope mount off ebay (about $30). Sighting the scope in can be a bear, though, because those 3" shells kick something fierce. They may kick when you're practicing, but you won't feel a thing when you take that first shot at a deer!! :D

I took both of my deer inside of 50 yards, once not over 20 yards and the other about 35. I've read in a couple of posts that the rifled slugs can be used up to 100 yards, but I'm not sure I'd try them past 50 until I make some longer shots at the range.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yup, zillions of deer were killed with stock barrels before the invention of special-purpose deer barrels. Practice with whatever you have so you know your limitations, and don't take "iffy" shots! The animal deserves a quick, clean, humane kill.

Jeff23

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.