Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My son and I started hunting last season and we both use a 12 ***** Remington 870 express with the stock barrel. Believe it or not, I got a deer on the morning of opening day using 3" Remington Slugger ammo. I got 2 deer for the season, taking both with the 870 and rifled slugs and using an improved cylinder choke tube (I think most ammo manufacturers recommend IC choke). I also bought a red dot scope off Ebay and have been very happy with it. I paid about $25 for it. Also bought the scope mount off ebay (about $30). Sighting the scope in can be a bear, though, because those 3" shells kick something fierce. They may kick when you're practicing, but you won't feel a thing when you take that first shot at a deer!! :D

I took both of my deer inside of 50 yards, once not over 20 yards and the other about 35. I've read in a couple of posts that the rifled slugs can be used up to 100 yards, but I'm not sure I'd try them past 50 until I make some longer shots at the range.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.