Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined a sportsmans club today, and I plan on using my membership at the trap range soon. I have no idea what to do, well, i know how to hit the birds, but how does the rotation and such go?
Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went trap/skeet shooting for the first time this Sunday. I had a BLAST! :)
The people were great and I shot 14/25 on my first outing which improved to 17/25.
It basically went like this, you are assigned a number, first shooter second shooter etc etc.... You shoot 5 shots and then you move one position and shoot 5 more. When you are done shooting all 25 you get your score.
Just a tip, don't load your gun till its your turn to shoot and keep muzzle control at all times. Very basic stuff! Besides that, be friendly and encourage your fellow shooters. You will make lots of friends in no time.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Trapshooters, as a group, tend to come up with lame excuses for missed birds, cheat at cards, lie about the size of the fish they catch, and offer unsolicited advice on nearly any subject.

A few of them, however, have character defects.

Above all, remember to be safe; and if you're unsure about anything, just ask - nobody will put you down for asking a question. It's a great sport with the best folks around.

·
Registered
279 Posts
excuses? I have only reasons. like today, when the grass was in my eyes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hmm... The post above yours seems to answer your question, but...

You don't. The scorer does. You'll find out your hit & miss count at the end of the squadding. More specifically, if you try to keep track of them in your head you will not be concentrating your attention on hitting the current target.

-- Sam

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
"The last bird is history - you can't change it. The next bird ain't here yet. Just shoot this one."

That's the advice I got from the guy who taught me to shoot trap. Like SamL says, every station change, the scorer will read off the scores - but you don't really need to worry about that, unless there's a questionable bird where the scorer thought it was a lost bird, and you thought you saw a chip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:D Just treat all the birds like the first one. Don't worrie about how many you hit. Un'till its all over,or you'll spend too much time thinking about what you are doing. Not having FUN with doing IT !!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok heres another one. How do you manage the collection of your hulls? Do you gather them after each set of 5, or what?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ask the people who are in charge of the shoot. In my case, it seems the people in charge have a handy dandy huller picker to do the cleaning at the end of the day. Just remember, if you arn't sure, ASK!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're into reloading and you want to keep those hulls, get a pouch with room for your empties as well, no need to toss them. Fortunately I have access to REALLY cheap Italian 1oz target loads which makes reloading a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
As was stated, you can get a mesh pouch that clips on your belt and will hold about 100 empties. If you have a pump or an over/under, you can drop your empty in the pouch after each bird. If you have an autoloader, most of them have shell catchers available, so you can do the same. If you want to go without a shell catcher on an autoloader, the guy on your right had better be a good friend. At all the clubs I have shot, the empties are picked up at the end of the round.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is probably a stupid question to some of you, but when trap shooting, does each person take all 5 shots in a row at each station, or do you take turns?

·
Registered
354 Posts
You take turns. Position 1 shoots 1; position 2 shoots 1; etc, until you've done 5 shots at the station, then rotate.

At my club (don't know if this is "universal" or "according to the rules", but) when we do doubles, we do three sets at each station, for a total of 30 targets. Same alternating pattern as above.

-- Sam

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
682Xman said:
:D Just watch the squads ahead of you. Yiu can learn alot just by keeping your eyes open.
I realized that last night, I just watched 2 rounds, and jumped right in. They actually told me to let my junk hulls stay, they pay someone to come and clean once in a while. Very cool thing happened while I was there, I met a man who; 1. Was a student of my dad, 2. Deals in reloading supplies, which is a very hard thing to find around here, I just bought what I think is the last pound of alliant powder around, and now I have a good hook-up for supplies. He also is going to get me a nice mesh bag to hold my reloading empties in.
I was also happy that I wasnt judged by my cheap gun, everyone else is shooting autos and O/U's, and Im standing there with my pump mav88. Im sure I will upgrade soon. At least a pump with pretty wood furniture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts