Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Been a lurker for quite some time. I've been loading metallic for quite some time (about 25 yrs.). Although I don't really shoot enough shells to justify reloading I wanted to add "shotshell" to my resume. The primary purpose of my reloading will be informal shooting at hand-thrown clays with my buddies, will also be loading shells for dove and squirrel hunting as well as some buckshot and slugs. With that out of the way, let's get to the problem. I wanted to insert a pic here, but I got "sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". At any rate the load is as follows;

Cheddite 2 3/4" hull (new primed)
1 1/8 oz. #6 shot
18.0 gr. Red dot
RXP-12 wad

The crimp is too deep with a hole at the center. From what I gather I need a different wad (longer?). Could anyone recommend a specific wad or perhaps give me some advice as to how I would go about correcting this. Oh, by the way the load data came from Alliant's web site and that was supposed to be my squirrel hunting load. Open to suggestions. Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
9,288 Posts
Before we can help you adjust anything we need to know what kind of press.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It pains me greatly to admit it (I fear being an outcast here), but it's a LEE Load All II. I think I have it figured out. I tried not putting so much pressure on the handle in the final crimp stage and that seemed to work out well. I plan on upgrading my equipment at some point in time, but for now this is all I have. The shells do look MUCH better though. I'd like to post a pic, but the site won't let me.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Do not think of yourself as an outcast because you load on a LEE Load ALL II.
Everyone starts somewhere.
I do not own this press,but several items should be checked.
The depth you are seating the wad could be too low on the powder charge.
The wad should make contact with the powder. Not too much pressure.
The actual crimp depth may be too deep.
If these shells are new,the precrimp or starter crimp may need adjustment.
Plastic shells memory comes after the first loading.
If you cant get the shell to close you can call LEE and ask for help,or seal the open crimp with a small amount of canle wax to keep the shot in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fired 3 shells in the back yard through my Rem. 870. All 3 fired fine. I reloaded them using the same load (with CCI primers) and they look great. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lots of good info above. Get a manual and study it. Figure out what components are available to you (ie: hulls, wads, powders primers). Look for recipes that make use of these components. Maybe you will need to rule out certain components because you can't find a suitable recipe. Don't substitute anything. Whatever you do, PAY ATTENTION!!!! A mistake that increases pressure may damage your gun, your body, or the person next to you on the line. Don't get me wrong, reloading is perfectally safe if done right.

Rick

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
mac60 said:
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Been a lurker for quite some time. I've been loading metallic for quite some time (about 25 yrs.). Although I don't really shoot enough shells to justify reloading I wanted to add "shotshell" to my resume. The primary purpose of my reloading will be informal shooting at hand-thrown clays with my buddies, will also be loading shells for dove and squirrel hunting as well as some buckshot and slugs. With that out of the way, let's get to the problem. I wanted to insert a pic here, but I got "sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". At any rate the load is as follows;

Cheddite 2 3/4" hull (new primed)
1 1/8 oz. #6 shot
18.0 gr. Red dot
RXP-12 wad

Mac - I really don't like recipes that require 'filler' in order to get a good crimp. That being said, you can just use a bean, cheerio or similar to fill in the bottom of the wad.

And, having said the above, I wouldn't do that. I don't like the recipe in the first place. The RXP wad is designed for Rem hulls, which are sometimes referred to as tapered hulls. The Cheddite hull is a straight walled hull and the RXP wad does not fit it very well. It may go bang, but that isn't the whole story.

Were I you, I would either use a Federal type wad, perhaps the CB clone of the 12S3, or change the hull type. Good luck.

The crimp is too deep with a hole at the center. From what I gather I need a different wad (longer?). Could anyone recommend a specific wad or perhaps give me some advice as to how I would go about correcting this. Oh, by the way the load data came from Alliant's web site and that was supposed to be my squirrel hunting load. Open to suggestions. Thanks all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bruce, thank you for replying. Upon further reflection, I don't think I like the recipe either. I have 200 of these hulls, so I'm commited to using them. I feel confident I can come up with a half way decent load. A little research led me to a wad I'd like to try. It's the claybuster 6118-12. The learning process is in full swing. If I come up with something I'm satisfied with I'll post the results for those interested. Once again, thank you for the reply and the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.