Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
SKB 1900 said:
Even better,when they exporting them,put me down for a new one.... :)
IMHO, it will be a while, there haven't been any imported here since the original facility in Ithaca, NY closed down.

The King Ferry and Auburn NY facilities (as well as Ithace NY) were just across the border and three hours drive fom here, so it was not like shipping them overseas; and we didn't get them.

The new plant is 4 hours drive from here but I am not expecting to see them here anytime soon. They will service the home market first before they export any and to do that, they will need to get product out.

Before the Auburn operation closed down, they were reporting they wanted to go from 7,000 guns per year to 14,000. At 14,000 that would be less than 270 guns per U.S. state/year; while they don't divide them up equally, it shows how small a number it is. Production would have to be much higher for exporting to take place.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Just to clarify something.. The Auburn plant NEVER even opened, I know, I live 15 minutes from the "plant" I wrote several posts a while ago reporting what was happening from drive by visits and knocking on a door where no one answered. I had been to the King Ferry plant several times and met a bunch of the staff and saw guns actually being made. I hope thge "new" Ithaca gets off the ground as the shotgun is a great one and I own a few of them too.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Ruger they are not great guns they are phenomenal guns. Of all the big buck guns i owned. I always grabbed my model 37 for hunting! i am selling or have sold my Berettas, Benelli's, Browning and the like. Ithaca makes one SWEET pump! Always goes bang. points like a dream and i lightweight and will last forever. who could ask for me?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Production would have to be much higher for exporting to take place.
Won't hold my breath on that one then.I don't think they have ever been officially imported here,there are only a few around.
Luckily I have one of them in my gun rack.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
You people have been jerked back and forth by the Ithaca Co., like a yo yo, for aout two years now.. As much as I like Ithacas, I'm a little sick of it.. They can't build a web site, It's been under construction for 3 or 4 months. I didn't plan on a $850 pump, too many around that are just as good for $300, but I would like to see the NID again... So I"m asking, How could the Ithaca Co. possibly expect to have any credibility..Bushrod

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Natty
i agree many missed promises. I am not holding my breath but i am waiting. They make great guns!! The BPS is a good gun but a heavy pig. Doest shoot as well as a 37 in my opinion

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I can certainly understand the frustration of those waiting to purchase an Ohio made Ithaca Model 37. Ithaca Guns USA has experienced some difficulties in getting their production up and running. But I truly believe Ithaca has turned the corner, that Craig Marshall saved a great American gun company from going overseas, and that the Model 37 will be available again soon.

I already own an Ohio made M37, and can personally attest to the quality of their product. These Ohio made 37s are manufactured on CNC machines for the first time ever, with a great trigger, and gorgeous wood and checkering. Ithaca has not only returned their guns to the quality of many many years ago, but have actually surpassed that quality with the best 37s ever made.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ithaca lovers will be pleased with their new 37s, and rewarded for their patience. C'mon guys, Ithaca encountered a four year delay in getting the Model 37 out originally (1937 obviously) , and that was the company that had already been producing guns since 1883. Let's cut the people trying to save Ithaca now some slack, let's be patient, and let's support the product when it becomes available. Unless of course you prefer buying chinese made product, and prefer seeing more manufacturing jobs being exported out of the U.S.A.

I hope you are all enjoying a great hunting season, and have a wonderful holiday season as well!

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Since the beginning of this forum being started, we have hung in there with the Marshall family and given them as much moral support as we can, and I hope all Ithaca fans will continue to do so.
I think that the new company would do well by doing a better job of keeping us informed. I read the press release, but I think it might be too vague for many. If Ithaca could put a time table to their plans, even if it is in years, at least people know what to expect. I think that would squelch much of the murmurings.
I take my hat off to the powers that be who are working to bring this great name in American firearm history back to life.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
ithacanut said:
I don't recall any "empty" promises from the new company. Maybe I have missed something. I think you will hear from the new compqny when they have product in the warehouse.
From "Ithaca plans a 28 gauge!" (I have added the bolding to emphasize the dates), reports by posters on telephone conversations;

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006

Haiwee said:
Spoke with Matt at the factory today (btw, these guys are real helpfull) to get in line for one of the new 16 gauge guns, and he told me of their plans to produce a 28 gauge Model 37 on a proportional frame. He says they hope to have it out by November, but that it may have to be a 2007 introduction. So now I'm buying two new Ithacas! :D

He also told me the new 16's and 20's should be ready by August, so I should have mine in time for dove season. Can't wait!
Since the post was May 2006, I assume the 2nd Aug. reference was Aug. 2006.

Skookumchuk said:
Yes - I spoke with him also and was told the same just two days ago. A English-stocked 28 in time for fall would be just the ticket.:D

They are also going to be doing custom wood. I've got a request in for a 16 gauge stock with left hand cast-on and a sunburst pad.

There are other things in development also - some of the traditional stuff like the Knickerbocker trap and maybe an entirely new auto.

These guys are a very pleasant change, quick to respond to questions and great to deal with, BTW.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
ithacanut said:
I am referring to the 'new' or current owners.
True, but but people remember the promises and lack of delivery over the past 1 1/2 years.

The new owners have been in place for a few months and I have missed seeing anything from them.

I am curious as to who are the current owners are?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
OK, here's my take on it. Keep in mind I have no financial investment in Ithaca, and had never known or met the Marshall family until I visited the Ithaca facility in Upper Sandusky about one year ago.

1. The Marshall family has emphasized quality over quantity for their re-incarnation of Ithaca. In talking about the guns they have actually produced in Upper Sandusky, Ohio (not the NOS guns assembled of parts made in NY), their Ithacas in my opinion, are superior to even the wonderful Supreme grades made in the past.

2. I will be forever indebted to the Marshall family for their efforts to keep Ithaca alive, an American company, and the guns produced in America.

3. The Marshall family put their money where their mouths are, and thus more than amply demonstrated their dedication to Ithaca.

4. Though they encountered unanticipated difficulties, they worked through adversity, and found the financial backing of a new owner to keep Ithaca alive, an American company, and the guns produced in America.

5. I intend to buy one Model 37 of every gauge produced in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, to personally demonstrate my financial support of Ithaca.

I find it difficult to believe any Ithaca LOVER would continue to go out of their way to be critical of these people. If ever a banquet is planned to honor this family for their efforts to keep Ithaca alive and American owned and made, I will get in line to buy tickets, shake their hands, and thank them for what they have done to save my beloved Ithaca shotguns.

Am I stubborn? You better believe it. One has to be to remain married for 30 years (to the same woman)!

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
What would happen, if you went to Cabelas and they had some brand new Model 12 Winchesters, made and finished better than anything New Haven ever put out, for $895?

These new Model 12's were all three inch chambered, steel shot proof, with gorgeous wood, choke tubes, vintage looking Winchester recoil pads, vent ribs on every one of them, and just perfect.

I bet you'd buy one. I bet there would be a run on the store. They couldn't keep them stocked.

So, why are the Marshalls having so much trouble? And why did every attempt to sell Ithaca 37's for the last two, or even three decades fail?

Back in the day, the Model 37 was only a gnat's eyelash cheaper than a Model 12. A matter of a few dollars, usually less than five. An Ithaca 37 is lighter than a Model 12, but both are made entirely of steel and walnut, with no stampings, plastic, aluminum, or junk to be found anywhere in the gun.

But, a used Model 12 often brings twice, three times, or more than an identical used Ithaca 37. Winchester even had Miroku turn out a bunch of modern Model 12's in Japan, and they sold out. I don't think a Model 12 is today as big a deal as they were a few years ago, but they still have a very strong collector's interest and prices are still high, even if they aren't what they used to be.

On the same note, I think my Fox Sterlingworths are actually better guns than Parker Trojans. But the market doesn't give a damn what I think, and if my Foxes were Parkers they would be worth more.

I don't know why the market has beat up on Model 37 Ithacas. I consider them a much better handling "game gun" than the Model 12, equal to the Model 12 in build quality, and the Model 12 only comes out on top in a "gee whiz that's pretty cool" contest, mainly because of the neat takedown system on a Model 12. A Model 12 is far easier to take apart to clean, too. To my way of thinking, they are about equal guns, overall, and should be priced about the same.

But, the market could give a damn about my opinions. Put a brand new Ithaca Model 37 beside a brand new Model 12 on the Cabela's rack, even for a few dollars less money, and I think I know what would happen. Honestly, don't you, too?'

And, I afraid the same thing will happen if you put a new Ithaca 37 beside a Remington 870 Wingmaster, a new BPS, a new Remington 1100, and a bunch of other "under a thousand dollar" shotguns. They won't sell any better today than they did a few years ago.

I hope I'm wrong. There are a lot of people who would buy the Model 37 for $850, but there have to be thousands and thousands every year, from here on out, for years, in order to keep a factory humming.

Maybe they ought to play the game like Shiloh Sharps does. Make you put down a deposit and give you a two year delivery date. We Americans is funny. We really only burn to have the stuff we can't buy right now. :lol:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Superxone,

Bringing up the Japanese M12s as you did, didn't it take two or three years each time for Browning/Winchester to sell out those limited runs?

I agree with you about Fox vs Parker. Parkers, to me, have all the grace of a 2x6 but collectors/shooters are crazy for them.

I have been waiting for the 16 gage M37 since the Marshall's announced the guns some two years ago. Frankly, very good condition M37s can be had for less than what a new one will go for but what the heck. That will likely be the only new Ithaca I will ever buy unless the NID is raised from the dead.

But the number of us who will buy new Ithaca's is limited and after the initial rush who will be left to buy the darn things?

I hadn't seen a new Wingmaster for sale for a couple years until the Sportsmans Warehouse opened close by and they had several on the rack. My guess is they will be sitting on that rack for a long time.

If Ithaca survives they will have to do an "express" version to keep afloat.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts