Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys I don't mean to be the new guy that just shows up on the scene and takes over the a million questions.

I just unpacked this used MEC 600 Jr that I purchased and it looks as though it's been sitting around collecting dust for a while. It seems to operate very smoothly but has a pretty good coating of dust on it that I'd like to clean up.

What's the best way to clean these things up? Good old soap and water? Some kind of degreaser or something like brake cleaner?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
926 Posts
London Dave, I would sure not use soap and water thats for darn sure. I would use a rag and a duster and just wipe it down, Hard question to answer... Brake cleaner is just to much for the paint and finish and any lubrication you have will be compramised. Just my .02 (00 (00

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
London Dave,

I'm going through a clean up right now on a Grabber. The owner did all his reloading in the pole barn here in Michigan (read as...loaders subjected to temp swings from 0 to 80 each year.....) When the machine would get a little dirty or start to bind up, he would spray this white ORV lubricant on it... The reloaders that I bought were/are a mess.

I cleaned one with Brake Cleaner (loosened up the paint) and Carb Cleaner (worse than brake cleaner on paint) folks on this board suggested Kerosene/diesel fuel... Kerosene worked great. BUT... when I wanted to repaint the Grabber, I went to the Autoparts store and bought a can of paint and showed the guy what I was painting. I asked for Chevy Red... He laughed and said... Looks more like MEC red and we talked about the condition of the machines. He suggested a cleaning product called, PURPLE POWER.

It's an interesting product. You can use it full strength to clean engine grease, or dilute to various strengths to clean anything in the house (seems to me). I bought a 40 oz spray bottle. Poured 38 oz. into a glass jar (marked with the product) and diluted the product to clean chrome (15 to 1). It seemed to do a nice job and was a little easier on the paint than brake cleaner.

I hope this helps... Good luck.

Maggs

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'd stay away from anything with water in it, just to avoid eventual rust problems. Brake or carb cleaner seem way too harsh, borne out by the comments above.

I clean mine with paper towels very lightly sprayed with WD-40. The WD-40 helps to pick up the powder dust instead of simply moving it around and it leaves a hint of protection behind it. I clean my 9000s thoroughly about every 6 months or 3000 shells, whichever comes first. If you are concerned with contamination, remove the powder bottle and charge bar when you clean, then let the machine sit for a couple of days to let the solvents evaporate before loading again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've cleaned many "nasty" looking MEC reloaders over the years with "Orange Blast" cleaner from your local Wal-Mart type store.

There are similar cleaners that will work but O.B. seems to melts dirt and grease right off. I think it's orange oil based. (and smells good, too!!)

Orange Blast isn't rough on the paint like brake cleaner.

The whole key to doing this is a bright sunny day. Spray the machine down with the cleaner, let it set for a few minutes, (give it a rub with a bristle brush on any tough looking spots) and hose it off with water.

Then let it bake in the sun, rotating time to time, and it will dry very quickly. So quickly that it hasn't got time to start rusting. (You can also blow it down with your compressor if you have one)

Comes out squeaky clean. :D

Lube it up on all the wear/contact points and it'll be good for many more years.

Just my way!!

Your mileage may vary.....

Bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I guess mine wasn't as dirty as I thought. I was at work and had some industrial/medical strength alcohol wipes that I used and it took the layer of dust off. I just reloaded my first box of shells and it worked great. I had to resist the urge to keep loading until I tries these ones out to make sure they work okay and do what I want.

First load is 7/8 oz 7 1/2 20 ga WAA hulls, WAA20 wads, Hodgdon Longshot 17.2 grains, CCI 209M primers. I'll get to try them out tomorrow.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts