Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - a local state park rents out duck blinds at what I assume is a strategic location. I have never been duck hunting before and do not have anything beyond my prized SBEII (not even camo painted) to hunt with.

Is it feasible for me to go out and throw a $1 at a duck and have him throw a quarter back?
(i.e. shells are $0.25 ea)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Halwg said:
WTH are you talking about?
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

1. I want to shoot a duck
2. I don't own a farm with a pond on it
3. I would need to use public land i.e. http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Maps/Brush ... ndsSWA.pdf
4. I don't own any of the gear guys with beards in commercials use to hunt ducks
4a. I do own an awesome gun.

Is it feasible to hunt ducks without the stuff you would normally get at them with?

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I think you'll need some decoys, at the minimum. We used to hunt state land when I was in college. The state had a way to flood fields and there were mounds scattered throughout the field, the tops of which were above the water. You simply were not going to get shooting unless you could call them to decoys. Oh, occasionally, I suppose a duck would wander by but it wasn't the rule.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Sure you can. I never owned any of that gear in the commercials and I've killed ducks. Not all that many, though, because I never liked the taste and Mallard drakes were about the only duck that I could reliably identify. Shoot the wrong duck and you might be in a heap o' trouble.

Probably better to go with an experienced duck hunter for a while, though. Someone who will show you the basics.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Without the equipment for decoying there is always pond or pothole shooting, and pass shooting from larger holding bodies of water. Sneaking up on ponds only works with two hunters, and usually only one gets any shooting.
You have to scout out where the birds are, and then get permissions.
Not knowing what your landscape looks like it is hard to offer more input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zbigniew said:
Sure you can. I never owned any of that gear in the commercials and I've killed ducks. Not all that many, though, because I never liked the taste and Mallard drakes were about the only duck that I could reliably identify. Shoot the wrong duck and you might be in a heap o' trouble.

Probably better to go with an experienced duck hunter for a while, though. Someone who will show you the basics.
Solid advice on the ID. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Put in some time and find out where they are coming from, where they are landing and whether or not you will need a few decoys to shoot a few. Practice your calling for whatever ducks you have coming in. Your shotgun is fine. Shoot it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dr Duk said:
Join Ducks Unlimited.
Volunteer to help on the committee where you will meet LOTS of duck hunters.
Hopefully you will get an invite to hunt!
Now there is an idea - thanks! Are there hunting opportunities in the Springs or do you head out east with the rest of us? I was born there but we moved to Denver when I was a little kid.

Are there any online local hunting presences you know of aside from DucksUnlimited? My favorite hunt is Dove but I got skunked this season. I blame the cold week in August, but it's probably due to my lack of in-the-know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll add in that "sure you can" also. Don't get so hung up on all the equipment, and just get out there. You may or may not score this season, but you'll learn something and benefit from it next season. I'd imagine if you watch some classifieds you can find a bag of decoys relatively cheap, and if you feel up to it, throw some new paint on them. A $10 duck call is very likely going to give you results. A "blind" might be as simple as a home-made ghillie cover you hide under. The trick bag may be retrieving your shot ducks (note my optimism in you), but again, you could very likely find a little boat maybe even free.

The important thing is....just get out there and give it a spin!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
I've seen guys use a fishing pole with a floating treble hook lure to retrieve downed ducks. Cast beyond, snag, and reel them in.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Welcome, and you've received some great advise.

My intro to duck hunting was "pass shooting" in the river flats behind a friends home. After that, we got a dog and started training with some local clubs.

Dog training clubs, Skeet shooting clubs (now called Conservation Clubs), Ducks Unlimited volunteering will put you in touch with folks that really know the how-tos and where-to-go. Sometimes they might share information. :)

My best duck hunting friends, I met through dog training workshops over the years.

I hope this helps.

Where are you located? What State?

·
Super Moderator
9,330 Posts
a_mans_worth said:
Dr Duk said:
Join Ducks Unlimited.
Volunteer to help on the committee where you will meet LOTS of duck hunters.
Hopefully you will get an invite to hunt!
Now there is an idea - thanks! Are there hunting opportunities in the Springs or do you head out east with the rest of us? I was born there but we moved to Denver when I was a little kid.

Are there any online local hunting presences you know of aside from DucksUnlimited? My favorite hunt is Dove but I got skunked this season. I blame the cold week in August, but it's probably due to my lack of in-the-know.
I was in the Air Force. Moved 10 times in 22 years. Took 1-2 years to find a place to hunt and then I moved. When I got to Colorado Springs, I joined DU. Helped the first year.
Next year, only 2 of us showed up for the first meeting and the other person had never been
a volunteer before. I was "elected" by default to be the committee chairman.
No clue as to how to run a banquet. Banquet went OK.
Next year, we doubled the committee size and greatly improved. Next year, we doubled the
size again and eventually became the 2nd largest committe revenue wise after being one of the smallest. I was rewarded with being the state chairman in Colorado!
I was invited to many good hunts as a result of being in DU.
I start the year in the San Luis Valley and end the year around Fort Morgan.
We have a goose lease and would be happy to take you goose hunting there.
Keep in touch!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I started duck hunting on my own, alone, with a dozen decoys I bought for under 20 bucks, a 12 dollar duck call, and a hand-me-down Remington 1100. I had a basic jacket and some brown waders. I put my finger on a public marsh on a map, and went out there on opening day, threw out my decoys, and sat in the grass. I don't think I killed any ducks my first season. I did, however, learn a tremendous amount by experience and got to spend many days in the marsh learning the area and talking to other hunters. I can't imagine how a person could not obtain 6 or 8 decoys and a cheap basic call. If you already have a spot to hunt you are way ahead of the curve. The feeling I had driving out to my little public mudhole at 4:30 in the morning knowing I was headed out to hunt and learn on my own was priceless.......I still get it. Get a few plastic ducks. Buy a cheap double reed call. Go hunting. If you need more than that to enjoy yourself, stay home.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Im a die hard and this will be my 43rd season.

Yes its possible to learn duck hunting your self. But I have noticed over the years that most duck hunters learn by going with some one. At least at first until you learn the basics.

As others have said don't get to hung up on the gear issue. Used decoys can be bought cheap. For that matter some new decoys are not the expensive. Waders and a jacket will set you up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Zbigniew said:
I've seen guys use a fishing pole with a floating treble hook lure to retrieve downed ducks. Cast beyond, snag, and reel them in.
A few years back I actually saw a nut job swim out to retrieve ducks in late October, Upstate NY. I don't recommend that. It was comical, however. I should have hired out my dog to them. The fishing pole works, or a cheap boat and a large net.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
While I have definite ideas about dogs, such as I don' hunt without one, others do with no special equipment. I have gotten several ducks while hunting grouse and jump shooting potholes. Carry Winchester Blind Side 5's for grouse and switch to regular shells when going for ducks. I guess you could back pack in a fishing pole or waders. As to decoys, they are fun but I have gotten a lot of ducks with out them, but with no dog decoys and a boat are best. Some rivers we have locally would also give pass shooting of sorts with out decoys.

DEP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.