Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The gov. has put little computer chips in the ducks heads and once they locate you on their jgps (Jay Gentry positioning system) they navigate around you position. It is all a huge gov. plot against you the owner of Shotgun World. "Goldens, great friends, better hunters"

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we went the Sunday after Thanksgiving...I got off one shot at a mallard. Feathers rained down like snow, but it kept flying (could have sworn I heard it laugh too). My hunting buddy is in Florida this weekend. He's hunting with his brother who never fails to call us at the end of our hunt to tell us about all the ducks he got. I'm going out to a new lake in a few hours. My biggest question is whether I should be setting up in shallow water at the back of a cove or near shallow water next to the main lake. I guess I'll find out in a few hours. Wish me luck.Jay G.Shotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Just a few additional duck hunting tips...1) Use effective camouflage that matches the terrain you hunt. We have many hunts where the ducks simply don't want to work to the decoys around the blind, so we get out of the blind and are able to set up where they naturally want to go. With good camouflage you can do it and still be successful. 2) Use a variety of duck species in your decoy spread and group those into family groups so that they are more recognizable from the air. Also set one group of ducks close to the blind. Ducks can pinpoint where a call is coming from and will get suspicious if they don't see the ducks making the sound. 3) On public ground work ducks hard, tight and fast. By working them tighter you can get them to commit quicker and stand less chance of losing them to other hunters. 4) Use a jerk cord on your decoys to add life to your spread. You don't have to connect but a few to create a wave action among your entire spread. 5) Place decoys so that the ducks last pass before landing places them where you want to shoot. You don't want the decoys to be placed so that circling ducks are looking down into your blind. 6) When giving a dog hand signals try wearing a white glove or sock [ok, this one I might have a problem with, I aint having any Kookla, Fran, and Ollie or a dang mime whilst I'm duck hunting] on your hand so that he can see the signals clearly. Remember that they are color blind and a camo hand against a wooded background is very difficult for them to see. [IF you handsignal like most trainers it is very exaggerated with your arm all the way out and even a physical step to the side you want the pooch to go] 7) Remember to respect ducks eye sight. In addition to wearing full camouflage, stay close to a tree or clump of grass. Also let one man lead the hunt and call the shots. Then he will be the only one looking up and moving. Everyone else should keep their heads down and stay still. 8) Also never forget the importance of gloves and a headnet. (Submitted By: Mat T. Coleman, TX) There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What I do know from my limited duck hunting experience...(ie: Use at own risk :b )1) SCOUT! SCOUT!! SCOUT!!! Easiest way to get ducks to commit to your decoys is to have decoys setup where the ducks want to be.2) Don't over call. Call the ducks "on the corners", meaning when they are flying away from you, or when they turn to circle, NEVER when they're coming straight toward you. If they are coming straight toward you and thier wings are locked, let them do thier thing! 3) Be aware of how loud your calling is based on trees, water conditions, etc. and compensate to not make it so loud as to echo throughout the entire marsh.4) Don't skybust. Try to keep your shots at around 30-45 yards MAX. Otherwise you'll ruin other hunter's chances, and they in turn will attempt to ruin yours.5) Practice your calling at every possible moment. In the car is best. --Wing"Believe me, Delmar, Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man!" -- Ulysses Everett McGill, to his friend, Delmar O'Donnell, in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

G

·
well i must say i live in n east texas and this is in fact the worst year ever. They are simply flying by. One of the main problems is the fact that we are in the middle between the central and mississ. flyway. I think this is the main problem, but we have done fairly decent the past 10 years, and with each year it gets worse. This is in fact the worst year. We usually have that one good hunt, and that day is gone. just two more weeks left and I am personally getting nervous.

NE Texas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.