Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NO firearms allowed on premises. All vehicles subject to search.

Companies have taken to claiming the right to say what is in your car if it is on their property. How do you all feel about this?

bd

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I feel like it's BS! :x

If they are not going to allow employees to protect themselves then they need to assume complete responsibility and liability if an employee is assaulted on their property.

John

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drsfmd said:
Should you be able to tell someone they can't smoke in your house? Same thing. Their place, their rules. I of course, have the right to shop/work/whatever elsewhere.
I don't see it as the same thing... I'm thinking the same thing would be, telling someone they could not keep cigaretts in their car, at your house, in your driveway, when they come to visit...

bd

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
drsfmd said:
Should you be able to tell someone they can't smoke in your house? Same thing. Their place, their rules. I of course, have the right to shop/work/whatever elsewhere.
I have no problem with them having cigarettes on their person in my house. If an emergency arose that required them to light up a smoke in order to save their own life or the lives of others then that would be fine.

I don't believe it's anyone's business what I have in my car in a parking lot.

John

G

·
The owner of a property has every right (lawfully I might add) to impose any criteria they desire for access to their property. Alternatively, they could say: No non-company vehicles will be allowed on any part of company grounds and all people and property entering our buildings are or will be subject to search. They could also say: All humans will enter our facility totally naked. Violators will be removed, clothing and all.

It is not about fairness, resonableness or individual rights and there is no remedy for it.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
sjohnny said:
I don't believe it's anyone's business what I have in my car in a parking lot.

John
You're right, it isn't anyone's business....if you own the property. Otherwise, the owner or lessee can restrict the use of their lot as they please, as you can on your property. NO PICK-UP TRUCKS ALLOWED!, or whatever. But I agree with you, as company (or government) policy, I don't like it either.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
In some states, one's vehicle is an extension of their home. And should be. If you can carry a firearm in it on public roads, etc. it should be the same for parking lots.

When a property owner restricts one's right to self defense, either in their parking lot, or on the way to or from said parking lot, they are in effect, saying that they are responsible for your safety in such case. Now good luck with trying to collect on that, especially if you don't survive. And even more so, if it is Federal Govt. property! You are not going to win, and even if you did, whose money would it be that you were winning? Not the Govt. but your own and other taxpayers!

Clyde

·
Registered
380 Posts
Actually, I believe the Federal government has the same policy. I know a former Fed employee who got fired for having a cased shotgun and a cased rifle in his trunk in the parking lot of a Federal office building.

Jim

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Jimbo63 said:
Actually, I believe the Federal government has the same policy. I know a former Fed employee who got fired for having a cased shotgun and a cased rifle in his trunk in the parking lot of a Federal office building.

Jim
Same holds true on most college campuses and in school zones. It's a pain in the butt on the days when I want to go shoot a few rounds of skeet at lunchtime, but I need to drive home (east of campus), load up my gear and drive to the club (west of campus). When I'm done at the club I have to drive back past campus to my house, and drop off my gear before I can go back to work. It's a silly, silly law, but nonetheless, it is the law and I have to abide by it or face the consequences of not doing so.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
bel_dad said:
NO firearms allowed on premises. All vehicles subject to search.

Companies have taken to claiming the right to say what is in your car if it is on their property. How do you all feel about this?

bd
Well I feel it is wrong.

To be told what I can and can't have in my vehical is BS.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I think Oklahoma also passed a law prohibiting companies from enforcing a no firearms in vehicles policy.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Simply stated, unless your State passes laws to the contrary: Not right, but it's legal.

If you choose to break the company rules and get caught, be prepared to pay the consequences.

Again: Not right, but legal.

Also be aware: It doesn't matter what your State passes, on Federal Property, it is not allowed if you are a Federal employee.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
In my state a R/V is considered a home and we have very strong laws about a man's castle. In the case of a private company not allowing properly stored guns in, say, a parking lot, they would have to exclude R/Vs completely. In the case of Federal property the feds would trump the state law, of course.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
A5Guy,

I wouldn't be so sure as to try that on for size. You have an option to park or not park your "Home" there and I am afraid that Judges would see that as a "willfull" violation. You still do not own the ground upon which it is parked.

I recommend that you exercise caution using that as an out.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I ran into the question head on. The local police would not stand behind the campground owner who's employee had rented us a lot for the weekend knowing that we would be fishing and hunting.

I would never push the subject at,say, a Wal-Mart parking lot, however.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I do not see an issue with it because they have no idea what is in your vehicle. I would say that it is a deterrent but, not an ultimatum. I don't think they could enforce such a ban.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.