Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to shotgunning and have been having some trouble hitting small targets (dove, Clays...). I have an 870 supermag that knocks out the ducks and geese just fine with 3 or 3 1/2 inch shells. I figured Id pick up some magnum 7 1/2 shot to replace my 2 3/4 inchers and improve my shooting, but bass pro didnt carry it. Ive searched and searched for the stuff but cant find any 7 1/2 shot over 2 3/4 inches, or any reason for it not being available. Anybody got ideas why this isnt made or at least not widely available?? Any sources for the ammo???
All help is greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Even if you could find it, why?
If you can't pulverize clays or dove with a 2 3/4 dove/quail load then it's you not the ammo! :roll:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Try size 8, 8.5, or 9. These will give you more pellets, and fewer gaps. I believe there are some shells that load these to 1300 fps, but I'm not entirely sure. The extra umph will better your chances of getting a kill or dusting a clay if the pellets are on target. Beyond that, it's not the gun or the shotshell's fault. If you still can't hit them, go shoot skeet until you're comfortable hitting small targets (I'm still working on this part myself).

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Smells like a troll.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the hints and coomments, but im not really doing unreasonably bad (at least thats what i keep telling myself ) . I was really more interested in a reason behind them not being popular. It seems to me there would be a market for them. Also im looking into a 3.5 autoloader and would hate to not be able to use it for dove loads.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
david555 said:
I appreciate the hints and coomments, but im not really doing unreasonably bad (at least thats what i keep telling myself )
:arrow: the only way to get better is to practice.

I was really more interested in a reason behind them not being popular. It seems to me their would be a market for them.
:arrow: The reason they are not popular is that their not needed, not to mention the expense!
The main reason for the longer hulls is for increased payload(more shot) and a 1 or 1 1/8 oz. load is more then adequate for doves or clays.

Also im looking into a 3.5 autoloader and would hate to not be able to use it for dove loads.
:arrow: Remember bigger is not always better! A auto with 3" chambers is more then you'll ever need for most target or hunting needs. A 3 1/2" shell is more of a specialty round then anything, even the good old 3" is too in many ways considering a 2 3/4" round will handle 99% of what shooter needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts