Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
um, i have been posting lots of questions about getting a hunting dog. I just picked up my 8 month old GSP today. he has been in our home now for 6 hours + and has not stoped playing. I am worn out! my wife is worn out! do i convince the wife we need a kid to keep the dog entertained :D !!!
all kidding aside, the pup is awsome! very very active, healthy and playful. I am very happy and just looking towards the days of training. I am going on a hunt tomorrow do any of you think its too soon to bring the dog?

thanks to everyone that has given me the best advice. !
thank you!

plan on sleeping good tonight (i hope) :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome to the war, a tired dog is a good dog!

It might be to soon if there is alot of gun fire. Remember the gentleman that posted about his young pup that fled the dove fields due to all the shooting.

I wouldnt risk it. I know you are excited, but dont ruin your dog because you are impatient...

You said 8 month old, is it 8 months or 8 weeks. If he is indeed 8 months does he have his basic training and is he gun broke? If he isnt its time to get started. It would also change my above opionion...

Best of Luck...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
live2hunt,

thanks for the response. I was thinking it was a bit early to even do anything. i am wanting to really just play with the pup for a few days bonding etc. the breeder told me he shot the cap gun over the pup. I wouldnt be out in a heavy shooting area, and my co-hunter (wife) would handle the dog on check cord and i would have her and dog far enough away when i shot.

i was just watching OLN on tv and they had a duck on the tele. my pup was pointing at it! hahahaha!

this can get addicting!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I do not believe it is ever too early to begin dog training. I also got my GSP at 8 months partly because he was just not too interested in birds. Some GSP's "catch on" at about 10 months and that was the recommendation for when I should take him to be trained by a pro.

I would not want to risk making my dog gun shy but if you can overcome and protect him until he is comforable around shooting then take him with you. He will love to run (and run and run and run) in the outdoors and he just might figure out what this is all about. Be patient, your GSP is a natural hunter but does not know how to work with you. That will take some time but the time it takes is also FUN and WORTH IT!

I am going pheasant killing (not hunting) tomorrow and my GSP's are going nuts because I am getting "geared up". You are in for some good times!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.