Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. i just wanted to introduce my self to everyone on the forum. i just bought my first shotgun lastweek so i thought i would join a forum so i could learn more from some people that have been doing this for a while.

My first shotgun is a mossberg 500 and im already having problems with it. i went shooting at a local range ( did skeet and clay sporting) and every once in a while when i would reload the shell would fall out of the chamber. i thought it was probably the way i was pumping it but my friends mossberg, which we bought at the same time and is exactly like mine, didnt do it at first but after a while it stater to do it too. Does anyone with a mossberg 500 have this problem also?

anyways i plan on taking up shooting since i had a lot of fun the first time i went. Even though i think i did horrobly for my first time, my friends dad said that i did pretty good. Do you guys know of some basic tips that you can give a noobie.

thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Without more details I suspect you were pointing the barrel upwards with the action open and trying to insert a shell. Gravity then took over and the shell fell out. Try inserting a shell into the tubular mag or point the barrel down and let gravity work for you when inserting a shell. In any event, always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction.

Advice: practice and then more practice and join a local sportsman club. Most club members are happy and willing to give you pointers.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I agree with mountainview on why the shell is falling out.
Try putting both shells in the magazine then pump the action to load the first shell.

And by the way welcome to Shotgunworld.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i should have been a little more detailed. the shell fell out while i was pumping after i shot my first round and pumping for the second shot. i was aiming at the clay so the gun wasnt pointing that high.

thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
Redrocket,

You may have been "short stroking" the pump handle. This means that you did not FULLY pump the handle to the rear before starting forward with it.

When pumping the gun, do it firmly and positively. Don't try to go too fast or too slow, but make the stroke in each direction a FIRM one. Don't baby the gun. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tips. i will have my friend check out the way i pump next time i go shooting to see if i am short stroking it. Also have another question what kind of shells would you guys recomend i use. I was using winchester for my first 100 rounds then i bought some Estate shells at the range after a ran out of winchesters. Are this good types of shells? Or should i buy some other type?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi im back again. Well the same thing happened to me again today when i went to the shooting range. Only i think that it actually got worse. Right off the back after i would pump it for a second shot the shell would fall out. And even worse the shells are actually jamming inside the chamber now, between the elevator and the reciver. I know im not short stroking it cause i can feel the forearm going all the way back. And i know its not me cause i shot my friends gun, like a said above its exactly like mine, and it didnt do it. which leads me to belive that it can be the gun or the shells that im shooting. Is thier a specific type of shell that i should be shooting?

Also when i took my gun apart to clean it i noticed that the top of the reciver has some unnormal ware on it. something has chiped off the finish and has eaten away at a small amount of some of the metal. :?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Redrocket, are the shells falling out of the chamber or the loading port as you cock the gun? If it's the loading port, you have 2 retaining clips that prevent the shells from leaving the shell tube, make sure that area is clean. If you get crud on those clips they could be letting a shell slip by when you rack the gun.

If you didn't take the gun completely apart when you purchased it for cleaning, its time to do it now! My 835 had cosmoline up in the works which was causing me problems my first couple times out.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well. My friend got off the phone early today with some dude down at mossberg and he told us to send the guns in. He was surprised to hear that both our guns were having this problem. Because of the lifetime warranty all we have to do is pay for shipping and he said that one of thier techs will take a look at them.

To awnser some question, im not sure were they are falling out from but if the loading port is the part on the bottom of the reciver then yeah i think thats were they are falling from. Im not sure how they fall but i know it only happens when i cock the gun after i shot the first round. And yes i have taken my gun all apart to clean it. i did that when i got home from buying my gun. I also used break free to clean it after my first outing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts