Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester 1300 with a rifled slug barrel. I want to shoot it, but sabots are soooo expensive...can I shoot normal slugs through this barrel?? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yes, you can shoot rifled slugs through a fully rifled barrel. However, they will lead up the rufling and the accuracy will be very poor. Compared to the total expenditure of a hunting trip, a box or two of sabots is a pittance - if you want the best from the gun, use it with sabots. Zero it with three-shot groups, maybe three groups to zero, and one shot for your deer.

If you want to shoot rifled slugs, get a cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights, and it will perform much better than the rifled barrel. You ought to be able to work nearly an even trade for the slug barrel for your rifled barrel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You might technically be able to shoot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel, but most owners manuals will tell you not too. Also on the boxes of rifled slugs it tells you for use in smooth bore barrels. If you really want to shoot rifled slugs since they are cheaper, I would look into a barrel trade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed with Golden and WWB. If you can afford a rifled barrel, you can afford a couple of boxes of sabots. Part of this is distance. If you only want to be accurate to 40 yards or so, any smoothbore barrel with rifled or "Foster" slugs will be fine as long as you practice with it. If you don't practice, it won't matter if you have a tack-driving .270, you'll just miss accurately :lol:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Whoops, something's wrong with my login from work. Oughta be working I guess:) That's me above, as "guest."

Jeff23

·
Registered
3 Posts
:?: Ok GoldenHunter, but with cost-effectiveness aside, what would be the wise choice for a deer-hunter whose shots primarily stay between 30-60 yards? A Rifled barrel with Sabots, or a smoothbore, IC choke, and rifled slugs? Nice pic btw :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
:?: Ok GoldenHunter, but with cost-effectiveness aside, what would be the wise choice for a deer-hunter whose shots primarily stay between 30-60 yards? A Rifled barrel with Sabots, or a smoothbore, IC choke, and rifled slugs? Nice pic btw :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I finally got all the slugs in one place. Everything was shot through my 23" Rem 870 express supermag with a remington rifled choke, and 2 sight beads.

3 inchers:

Win super x magnum rifled slug 1 oz.
Rem slugger magnum rifled slug 1 oz.
Rem copper solid magnum sabot slug 1 oz.
Rottweil Brenneke magnum rifled slug 1 3/8 oz.
Federal Premium hydra-shok hp magnum sabot slug 1 oz.
Federal Classic hollow point magnum rifled slug 1 1/4 oz.

2 3/4 inchers

Win hi-impact hollow point sabot slug 1 oz.
Rem buckhammer lead slug 1 oz.
Rottweil blitz rifled slug 1 oz.
Wolf power rifled slug 1 oz.
PMC rifled slug 1 oz.

So, after shooting almost all (only didn't shoot the fed classic rifled slug, ran out of targets & it seemed all the "foster type"slugs shot the same) of the above ammo through a rifled choke, several particular slugs stick out:

Rottweil Brenneke magnum rifled slug 1 3/8 oz.-- My gun did not like this stuff. In fact, one flyer hit the next target over Unacceptable.

PMC rifled slug 1 oz.--My gun loved this cheap stuff, but point of impact was low. Could easily be remedied with scope or adjustable iron sights. 1 1/4" group at 25 yds.

Rottweil blitz rifled slug 1 oz.--Impact low, 1 1/2" group

Federal Premium hydra-shok hp magnum sabot slug 1 oz. & Win hi-impact hollow point sabot slug 1 oz.--Also loved this ammo, and P.O.I. was dead on, grouped 1 1/2" @ 25 yds. Looked a little closer, and realized how funny it is that two different ammo mfgs. can make such a similar product. But it works, so I'll end up using one of these.

Well folks, this was a learning experience. I went into this project not knowing one way or the other how it would turn out. And it did turn out that most slugs shot mediocre at best. But the real jewel was that some slugs did indeed shoot well enough to satisfy me (and I am picky--none of the average slugs were nearly good enough for me at 2"-3" groups at 25 yds). So if you are a bowhunter like me, and don't want to be left out of the occasional gun hunts, there IS hope; you just need to find out which ammo box it comes in.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Youngblood--

Sorry I don't have a pic like Golden's :lol: In my old fart experience, 30 yards is well within range for a smoothbore with the old-fashioned and rather slow Foster rifled slugs. Sixty yards, however, is a shot I might not take with 'em, unless I had an unusually clear sight picture. You can improve accuracy quite a bit by using a rifled choke on your barrel. If one has the rifled barrel and sabots, so much the better.

Now: here's my crabby old obnoxious opinion (and I am NOT saying it applies to ANYONE in this thread). :!: Hi-tech hunting gear ought not to be put into the role of compensating for poor hunting skills. Zillions upon zillions of deer have been nailed with relatively low-velocity 2 3/4 in Foster slugs. My own first deer was taken with what was then commonly referred to as a "punkin ball." This spherical monstrosity converted your shotgun into an 18th or 19th-century smoothbore musket that bore direct resemblance to a piece from the Napoleonic wars. Not many people knew where a punkin ball was going to go once it left the muzzle. It was something of a speculation or conjecture, like the future of the internet or whether or not Ben and J-lo are going to get married. A friend of mine in the eighth grade, who had a doe permit one year, shot at a buck with a punkin ball and killed a doe standing ten feet away. "Nice shot" everyone yelled. This same guy later shot himself in the calf with a.22 by accident--but that's another tale.

My point is that whatever the gun and ammo you have at hand, you need to pick your shots and your hunting technoquies accordingly. To me, this is more important than the equipment. I had to learn to hunt close, stay still, and walk 'em gingerly and patiently in the snow, because all I had were punkin balls and buckshot. I hasten to add that I'm NOT recommending buckshot or punkin balls over more modern rigs, just remarking that hunting with them taught me a great deal.

Good luck--come back and let us know how its going!

Jeff23

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.