Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Another "gun-free zone" tragedy that could have been avoided or mitigated with common sense gun laws instead of "gun control".

Just grateful to living in Texas and the USA...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeap, another gun-free problem caused more lives. It took 90mins for the police to arrive. That is unacceptable, even worst "when second counts, they are hours away". Wish there were some CCW operator who could have ended this tragedy sooner with fewer casualties.
Sad! RIP

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
uncle-buck said:
Another "gun-free zone" tragedy that could have been avoided or mitigated with common sense gun laws instead of "gun control".

So what are Norways laws regarding gun ownership?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
From what I understand, the police rarely even carry firearms because Norway is such a 'peaceful' society (whatever). The poor response time was due to inability to find a helicopter, then boat... epic fail imo.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
police apparently couldn't find a boat because so many had been used to ferry the kids to the island and were still on the island. Is it just me, or should they probably have their own boats, so that they aren't reliant on borrowing one should they need it?

Also, there was a news chopper in the air recording the whole thing. Did it occur to anybody that instead of standing off to the side and recording him slaughtering kids, maybe they could have ferried over some cops to end the damn thing?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
He goes to a kid's youth camp or whatever and slaughters kids. He kills 92 and wounds 90. An article I read said he used "Special Bullets that disintegrate in the body" or something very similar to that quote. We all know what those are. This was a youth camp where most even with our laws they couldn't have CCW. He knew this would be a soft target.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
And precisely why schools and college campuses should not be "gun-free zones". I know I'm preaching to the choir here. It just breaks my heart when I read about these mass shootings which are so simple to prevent.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
When I was in Norway the first time, there was the "trial of the century" going on in Stavanger. A bank robbery where a guard was shot.
Kinda like the media has reported, this kind of thing is unthought of in Norway.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Banshee said:
Thedogfather said:
uncle-buck said:

So what are Norways laws regarding gun ownership?
Could be worse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Norway
Yeah, ya think?

Norway is a nation of hunters and shooters. They probably have fewer gun laws than the US (i do NOT mean they are across the board more liberal) however, they can own about any firearm a US citizen can own, with fewer restrictions on handguns, in particular, than many cities in the US although they don't have concealed carry. Norwegians have never felt the need for it. To strap on a pistol to go skiing or walk through Oslo would seem stupid in the extreme to them.

uncle-buck said:
And precisely why schools and college campuses should not be "gun-free zones". I know I'm preaching to the choir here. It just breaks my heart when I read about these mass shootings which are so simple to prevent.
Unless you know some magic formula, Buck, this is just blather. These things are NOT simple to prevent. If you're referring to a concealed carry program or similar, although I support the sentiment, to make a statement like that flies in the face of reality. In our home state, where licensing is about as easy as anywhere in the civilized world, the probability that one of the 40-50 adults on that island would A. have been licenced B. would have actually been carrying and C. would have stopped the shooter before he killed significant numbers is very low. The citizen would almost certainly been undergunned, and the shooter was organized and determined. Who stopped the Luby's shooter? Nobody, he KILLEd himself when the cops closed in after forty some casuaLties. Nobody stopped Nidal Hassan on an Army base FULL of guns until he had killed and wounded a bunch and then it was a law enforcement officer responding to a call.

The police certainly will be criticized but they were no doubt in a nightmare situation, with the bombs still echoing and transportation problems. As Fronty said, they are not used to this sort of thing, many cops don't carry guns.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
At the time of the Luby's shooting anyone with a handgun in that Luby's other than a peace officer would have been breaking the law. It was one of the cases that helped us get a concealed carry law.

Damn near all the guns on that Army base were locked up in armories except for the ones being carried by the cops. No one but the fuzz are generally allowed to carry firearms on military bases.

Bottom line, anyone but a cop in the two examples you cited would have to have been breaking the law to have been able to shoot the bad guys.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Unless the bg is 300yds away hidden on a hill side with a sniper rifle, or driving a tank, under guned isn't much of an excuse. Tactics beats hardware.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Johnny,

I am pretty sure that Texas went from a "may issue" state to a "shall issue" state in 1995. This is often referred to as "legalizing concealed carry" but in fact it simplified the process, requiring no particular justification for a license. I knew a few non LEOs who carried before then and I don't think they were breaking the law.

You're correct about the Fort Hood shooting, personal guns were locked in the armory, same as mine were when I was living in a barracks many years ago. However it seemed then every other GI on base was an MP or SP.

The point is that it is not simple. It's dangerous and delusional to believe that if Norway only had concealed carry this guy would have been stopped. It's possible, but unlikely.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
liljake82 said:
Unless the bg is 300yds away hidden on a hill side with a sniper rifle, or driving a tank, under guned isn't much of an excuse. Tactics beats hardware.
Yeah.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Prior to 1995 it was against the law to carry a handgun. There were no permits or anything. Any of your buddies who were carrying handguns anywhere but their own property or under very strictly defined circumstances was committing a Class A Misdeanor - Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I believe you are mistaken, dogfather. Norway doesn't allow its subjects to arm themselves for personal protection, only for sport and hunting. Others have already corrected you on the Luby's and Fort Hood shootings.

And here in Texas, our children attend summer camps where the adults almost universally have ready access to firearms. In fact, rifle and shotgun shooting are scheduled activities at most camps once the kids reach a certain age. They may not have been able to totally prevent such an attack, but they would certainly have been able to end it quickly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.