Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently received an "American Arms Derby" which I was told in a previous topic was manufactured by H.Zabala. Zabala may have been producing the "Derby" in later years, but My "Derby" was produced by Francisco Sarriugarte in 1986.
Will the fact that Sarriugarte is no longer producing Guns with his label decrease or increase the Guns Value over time?
Thank's, Jango

·
Registered
733 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a Zabala of any description based on the ones I've seen however a Sarriguarte is another matter.

Sarriguarte was one of the principals of the DIARM experiment in the mid 80's. DIARM was an ill-fated consortium of various Spanish gunmakers.

Although not making guns under their name, the Sarriguarte clan is making Kemen guns, a very good o/u that is modeled along the Perazzi.

G

·
Anyone who knows much of anything about Spanish gun makers knows that Zabala is a well made and respected firearm in Spain. It would be on par with Remington in this country--not the top of the bunch but good quality for the price. I have seen many of those guns in the USA and they are well built, decent looking guns that are priced reasonably.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Guest43 said:
Anyone who knows much of anything about Spanish gun makers knows that Zabala is a well made and respected firearm in Spain. It would be on par with Remington in this country--not the top of the bunch but good quality for the price. I have seen many of those guns in the USA and they are well built, decent looking guns that are priced reasonably.
Oddly enough on my three trips to Eibar to visit the Basque gunmakers (accompanied by a couple of gun dealers and importers) I didn't hear anyone say that. Didn't see one at the columbaire either.

I've owned a few Spanish sxs over the years and one look at the inside of a Zabala sidelock was enough to solidify my opinion. YMMV.

G

·
It does not matter whether you "heard anyone say" it, the truth is the truth. I agree with the above poster that they are decent guns. I never heard him or anyone else claim they were the top of the line, absolute best guns that Spain had to offer. They do make a decent o/u that is being imported right now by Tristar. I have seen the inside of these guns myself and while not on par with some top of the line manufacturers, they are well built nonetheless.

·
Registered
733 Posts
thejackal said:
It does not matter whether you "heard anyone say" it, the truth is the truth. I agree with the above poster that they are decent guns. I never heard him or anyone else claim they were the top of the line, absolute best guns that Spain had to offer. They do make a decent o/u that is being imported right now by Tristar. I have seen the inside of these guns myself and while not on par with some top of the line manufacturers, they are well built nonetheless.
Well we will agree to disagree. Decent is a personal opinion and what may be decent to you might be completely unacceptable to someone else. It could also be that Zabala is attempting to address their past quality concerns. Actually I've found Lauronas to be better guns than Zabala.

What I did notice on my last trip to the UK was nary a Zabala in sight but they did have a fondness for the Lanber. If you want a low priced o/u this is the gun to get.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back to my original question,Does anyone have any Idea on the impact of Value for the Sarriugarte Guns since they are no longer produced under that name?
Thank's, Jango

·
Registered
383 Posts
As far as I can see the value should be similar (similar original name, similar price bracket). I looked at the blue book site but you have to pay to see the american arms guns. Anyone who actually is wealthy enough to own the book?

Good questions to ask are why did they switch the makers? Was it because of high price or poor quality?

With respect to zabalas, owning one myself and talking to people i have found that they are quite repected and reliable.

Lauronas are considered better, but they tend to be more expensive to begin with.

Lanber are made by the other zabala brother and are thought to be the same as zabalas quialitywise, though they are more mass produced and sold under their own name. Zabala is an OEM for many others.

The problem with zabalas is the finish, which is what PJR possibly meant when he said about looking into one. If you want beretta finish buy a beretta (or a breda, they are 'related').

However their general quality is fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe they changed to Zabala because when the DIARM consortium was formed around 1986, Francisco Sarriugarte ceased building Guns as he became President of the ill-fated group. He and his family are now building the "Kamen" target Guns.
As I understand, The F. Sarriugarte guns were and are a very will made and sought after mid priced Spanish Gun.
My 12ga is a very nicely ingraved sidelock ejector Gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.