Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Jay, do you shoot those poor defenseless little creatures?I try like crazy but end up just burning primers.. The area I'm in now doesn't have a strong population until around Nov. Then we ave flocks of 100 or so, until then it's usually doubles and triples..

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MarlandS,Every chance I get!Last couple of years the fields I was in weren't that great, so it wound up being... wait for an hour...shoot at one...wait for an hour...shoot at one.....Texas has a program (maybe it's a federal program?) where they lease fields from area farmers and then hunters pay a one time fee of $40 to hunt on any of these fields all year. The last time I tried it was when Texas had the 90 day drought accompanied by 30 days of 100+ degree heat. Nobody really did good that year. I guess I'll have to give that a try again. If you ever want to go dove hunting in North Texas just let me know.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Thanks for the offer Jay. I'm supposed to go on a goat hunt in SW Texas sometime, might just kill two birds with one stone.Last week I saw something way unusual for around here , a triple power line loaded with doves from pole to pole. Water is getting scarce since we are in drought conditions and they were near a creek still holding water.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't walk two feet without stepping on doves here in Kansas. Yesterday morning I left the house and saw 10 birds all bunched up on the street...and I LIVE IN THE CITY! (don't hate me because of it) I drive around and all I can see are doves...I look out my office window and see some flying about ever 15-20 min or so. So, if that's any indication to you guys, be prepared with lots of shells this Sept. I grew up in south Texas and I know what a Texas dove hunt can be like... The first time I was allowed to shoot a shotgun was on a dove hunt in San Saba County. I don't think I'll ever have a dove hunt that good in Kansas, but good luck you to guys.--Wing

·
Registered
54 Posts
If things hold out, this should be a great year for dove in MS! Last year, I hunted over the pasture behind my house and took my limit (15) in less than 1 hour.This year, my neighbor has planted the field in brown top millet and sunflowers. I've been seeing dove fly in by the dozens!If nothing drastic happens between now and Labor Day, we should be having one heck of a dove shoot!If anyone is in the area and needs a place to burn a few primers, just holler!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, that would be me. Only I'm not in the NAHC any longer. They sent me my renewal notice, I sent them a check. They sent another renewal notice, I e-mailed them....no response. The next day, I discovered that I could no longer access the web site.They sent me another renewal notice and I sent them a copy of the cleared check.They sent another notice saying that if I did not send them a payment, I would no longer be a member, oh well.I really miss talking with everyone there and I hate that things didn't work out, but........Now I have discovered this site and love it! Jay, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Yeah there is a lot of that going on... That's one reason I became a Lifer so I didn't have to deal with that stuff.With 300 plus people working in the offices there you'd think they could keep track of things. I'm tired of going there just because of all the insanity going on.And you are right , Jay has a great site here.(but I'm hardly ever here so how would I know ;) )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's a question....If mosquitos can transmit the West Nile virus to birds, and a dove becomes infected, what are the chances of you being exposed to/contracting the virus from either handling the dead dove, cleaning it, and/or cooking and eating it?Has anyone out there heard anything concerning this?I normally wouldn't be too concerned about it, but we're having more and more reports of this virus around here. Edited by: bustabuck at: 8/19/02 3:09:34 pm

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Busta, as I understand it, WNV has been confined to crows and Jays (members of the crow family) so far. But, I'm willing to help you out, so, just freeze up all the doves you get and next day air them to me, I'll run some "tests" on them for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
At first, I thought the WNV was confined to crows and jays as well. But here of late, there's been cases of blackbirds, cardinals, and mockingbirds being found dead in pretty large numbers. If this stuff affects the turkeys....well, I may just cry. As far as the testing goes, you'll have to come down to the house and try them for yourself! We're having grilled dove breast, fresh vegetables straight from the garden (peas, beans, squash, okra) and, of course, a big pan of hot homemade biscuits!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
What ,no taters???? I hadn't heard of the other species of birds being affected... better leave the Ringnecks and Bobwhites alone though or I'll get upset.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sure! How do you want them cooked?We don't have any ringnecks in MS, except the ones in the cages.The bobwhites have been on a steady decline in MS for the past 15 years, but look like they may be trying to make a come back. There's not even enough let to train a dog with, let alone hunt. That's sad, too. Until I was 13 or 14, that's all my dad and I hunted. We always had a few English Setters and a Britteny Spaniel.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Here is what I found on eating wildgame and the West Nile VirusQ. Can you get West Nile Virus if you eat wild meat? A. As far as we know, proper cooking kills West Nile Virus, so there is no danger in eating wild game. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does recommend that hunters wear gloves when handling and cleaning all game to prevent blood exposure to the bare hands. Source ohioline.osu.edu/wnv-fact/1006.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.