Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK tell me the good and bad about the Nova why you like it. I'm leaning towards the Nova over the 870. How well does the camo hold up on the Nova. Anyone had any problems with thier Nova. Is there a new Nova coming out in 06? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a 26' barrel 12ga Nova for about a year now, with about 400 rounds throught it so far. Reliability has been excellent, cleaning is a breeze and the black finish has held up well. My buddy has the same gun in camo and the finish has held up well with his. Avoid handling the camo guns with deet bug repellent on your hands, or so I've heard.
I've shot both the Nova and 870 and like them both equally. The Nova is a bit goofy looking-love it or hate it, but I'm sure with proper care it will outlast me. The 870 has a whole bunch of accessories and barrel choices. For the price of buying a rifled slug barrel for the Benelli you could just buy another Nova.
In my opinion, it's a matter of personal preference. Shoulder both, shoot both if possible and buy the one you like the best, you can't go wrong with either. Keep us posted.
Matt

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'll second most of the above, adding that I love my nova. I've never needed bug repellant so the stock looks virtually new, accept for the scratches on the mag tube from the forearm rubbing it. A lot of people try to make the Benelli/Remington/Mossberg/Winchester comparisons, which is fine, but you need to set some parameters like cost, function, aesthetics, etc. Given those parameters you can decide which is best for your usage. To compare the 870s to novas, I would say
870 Express < 870 SPS = Benelli nova < 870 Wingmaster. Before I got my nova I seriously thought about two Remingtons. A 16 gauge WM and a 12 gauge Fall Flight special. I ruled out the 16 gauge because this would be my only shotgun for a while, and I needed more versatility and cheap ammo than the 16 offered, but I might get one in a few years. The Fall Flight only came with one choke, the nova had 3, and the store had the novas in stock, but not the 870, so the decision was pretty easy. If I could've afforded a WM at the time, I probably would have gone for it. All of them are decent guns, it's just a matter of what do you want to do with the gun.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wink Dinkerson said:
Don't know about the polymer receiver though.
They have a steel insert inside of the polymer outer shell of the reciever.

I would also like to add that I love my Nova. I have had it since December 2001 and I have put thousands of shells through it both hunting and shooting the different clay sports. Although I now have an over/under for clay shooting I still love my Nova for hunting and for the occasional round of skeet or sporting clays.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The nova's a great gun, it just doesn't fit me worth a poop and causes me to vomit uncontrollably when I look at one.

My personal opinion is the 870 but that's just me and that's based solely on looks.

Functionally they're about the exact same. Both top notch as far as reliability, quality materials and workmanship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts