Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

First post and being a newbie to shotguns, I am afraid my first post is probably a question with an obvious answer but I am stuck nonetheless.

How does one go about removing the the magazine tube's spring retainer so I can take the mag spring out etc so as to add a mag extension tube?

The manual just says:

1) Remove the magazine spring holding ring from the firearm and replace it with the magazine tube extension for it ...
As it warns of 'springs under pressure .. could serious injuries' I would like to get it right first time and no tools came with the gun so I am stuck guessing.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just use a flat screwdriver to work the spring retainer out. Work it back and forth easy - put your other hand around the end of the magazine tube and retainer so that when it comes out the spring doesn't go flying. I suppose if the spring hits you in the face it would hurt, but I don't think its life and death. Just work the retainer out and hold your hand over it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I remember correctly it has a "U" shape to it. Work each arm of the "U" a little bit at a time, so that you don't warp it. Definitely cover it with your hand, as mine shot clear across the room, and almost hit a cat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
JOSH S said:
Just use a flat screwdriver to work the spring retainer out. Work it back and forth easy - put your other hand around the end of the magazine tube and retainer so that when it comes out the spring doesn't go flying. I suppose if the spring hits you in the face it would hurt, but I don't think its life and death. Just work the retainer out and hold your hand over it and you will be fine.
Won't that mar it?
Here's what I did:

I got a wire hanger and cut out a segment. I then shaped that segment into a "U" shaped wire. I inserted the two ends into the hole of the spring retainer, then I used a set of long nose pliers to squeeze the "U" shaped wire in turn squeezing the retainer making it easier to pull out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a clay pigeon shoot today and got a recommendation which turned out trumps.

Just for reference in case someone searches on this subject in future, circlip internal bent pliers are perfect for this. It came out like a dream and went back in as well using them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Who wouldn't want another tool around? :lol:

There are cheaper options for 'ring pliers. I suspect most of them would fit the bill nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts