Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after shouldering the Mossberg 500, 870 Expres, and Benelli Nova, over and over and over at the store, I went with the Nova because it just plain fit me better.

After hammering away at dove with field loads for the last couple days (and feeling VERY little kick :D ) I just had to go out and buy some 3 1/2" Magnum loads... OUCH :shock: ! I didn't want to pay extra for the Recoil system, so I don't know how much of a difference that would have made in my experience.

What do you think - How much of a DIFFERENCE does the Merc Recoil reducer make?
Is it WORTH the price?

Duck season is a little ways off, should I buy the Recoil System for the Benelli Nova?

Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That type of recoil reducer is used widely. I would pay extra for it, just for the pleasure of control and less flinch when you know its gonna hurt like hell.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Nova is the Special Purpose configurationand after 2 trips to test some differnt slugs you canbet Im going to get it. Great shooting gun but Im not going to take that pounding(which i could) when i dont have to! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have put everything though my nova without one. I know a lot of people say they are light and kick a lot, but come on...my 7 mag kicks, this is a bigger distraction. I think if it bothers you, get it, but don't rush out and buy one before you have a chance to shoot it some. Come to think of it, I like a light gun for carrying around anyway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
90 % of the time most shooting will be upland game ( I figure...)
at least for me.
Its the 3.5" shells I'm talking about when it comes to using the recoil reducer...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not yrying to ruffle feathers, but can someone please tell me why a gun mfgr. like benelli, (that makes fine products) would sell a gun that most people complain about the recoil, but for a mere $45 you can put a recoil reducer in it? Why don't they just make the gun heavier or include a recoil reducer from the start? Sounds like European marketing to me! just my 2cents. I've thought about purchasing one myself, in 20 ga. for wife, and soon my sons will be old enough, but I want to make their first experience enjoyable, not painful!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes-- Have used the Nova for Trap shooting, and the reducer makes a big difference. It also balances the gun better.
You can remove it in less than a minute if you are going to be carrying it a while.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Than why does it not come with it ???????????????? That's my whole point, if it works, why aren't they included with the gun?? I'll tell you why MARKETING! and everyone wants the status of shooting a "European Gun" why I have no idea, but hey that's America! just my 2cents. Thanks for answereing my question. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't sure if the recoil reducer made a big diff. for $45 bucks, I'll probably pick one up when Duck season rolls around.

As for this:
can someone please tell me why a gun mfgr. like benelli, (that makes fine products) would sell a gun that most people complain about the recoil
I have shot 2 3/4" game loads through a Remington Pump, an old 1920's 20 ***** bolt action, a $2,000 30" Parker sxs, and my Nova. I swear the Nova kicks less than the others. I love the gun. It cycles VERY fast, and shoulders well. I hope no one's complaining about recoil in 2 3/4" loads because there is hardly any. Not as little as with a Semi, but still pretty dang good.

50 rounds at the trap range with that old 20 ***** shooting 1 0z loads actually left a couple small but visible bruises (I know, I'm a wimp)... 50 rounds with my 12 ***** Nova and I'm not even sore. When the trigger is pulled, it automatically releases the Action and the slide absorbs some of the energy from the shell and gets pushed back about 1/2 way. I think this is why it DOESN'T kick as hard. That old 20 takes the energy and xfer's it straight into a locked bolt, straight into the stock and straight into my shoulder. Also, since the slide is already moving, it's instinctual to follow through and pull it back the other 1/2 way. As opposed to "Shoot" "Slide Back" "Slide Forward" it's more like "Shoot" "Slide Forward" "Shoot Again" it cycles almost as fast as a Semi once you're used to it.

The only complaint about recoil I have is when I fired some 3 1/2" Mag's through it. That was painfull. I'm sure 3 1/2" mags would be just as painfull in another gun as well! The only time I'll be using 3 1/2" is for waterfowl when I need steel shot. Otherwise, I'm just using upland loads. I don't want the extra weight if i'll be walking around. However if I'm sitting in a boat... and the reducer will help make those 3 1/2" feel like 2 3/4"... then it's worth it to me. I just wanted to make sure it works before I paid for it.

Now, why doesn't Benelli include the reducer...? As a capitalist, I'd do the same thing. I can't blame them. Look at it this way... I got it on sale for $299. If every gun included it, I'd probably have had to pay $349. What SOUNDS better $299 or $349. And if I wasn't going to shoot waterfowl, and wasn't going to shoot more than 3 rounds at the trap range, then I would NOT want the reducer. I would not NEED the recoil to be reduced. I would not WANT the extra weight.

It is nice that you aren't FORCED to buy it if you don't want it.

I guess there are two sides to every coin. I know this though, I LOVE MY NOVA! My buddy with the $2,000 Parker is going to get one too... that way we can go hunting and he won't be stressed THE ENTIRE TIME! Man does he Baby that gun! :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jag said:
Than why does it not come with it ???????????????? That's my whole point, if it works, why aren't they included with the gun?? I'll tell you why MARKETING! and everyone wants the status of shooting a "European Gun" why I have no idea, but hey that's America! just my 2cents. Thanks for answereing my question. :lol:
They may HAVE come with them...When I started looking at this shotgun I saw people posting prices MUCH higher than I had seen...349-399...Why? I Thought...most had gotten the recoil reducer INCLUDED in their higher price...When I saw the lower prices locally in the 279-299 range I found it did NOT include the recoil reducer...perhaps it IS marketing but the lower price does make more people LOOK at this shotgun...it did, me!

Bill

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jag said:
I'm not yrying to ruffle feathers, but can someone please tell me why a gun mfgr. like benelli, (that makes fine products) would sell a gun that most people complain about the recoil, but for a mere $45 you can put a recoil reducer in it? Why don't they just make the gun heavier or include a recoil reducer from the start? Sounds like European marketing to me! just my 2cents. I've thought about purchasing one myself, in 20 ga. for wife, and soon my sons will be old enough, but I want to make their first experience enjoyable, not painful!
Jag,
I've shot thousands of assorted rounds though my 12GA Nova with 24" barrel, and the myth that the Nova kicks harder than say an 870 or 1300 is just plain FALSE! I think this myth has been spread by unknowing people who haven't even shot a Nova before, or just want to trash the gun for some reason or another. My Nova bone dry weighs 7.8 lbs, and over 8 lbs loaded (without recoil reducer). Compare this to an 870 Wingmaster Super Magnum with 28" barrel that weighs 7.5 lbs empty (see Remington and Benelli's websites for specs). Obviously they are both very close in weight, and from my experiences, feel about the same recoil wise, and I dare say that my Nova might be just a bit less punishing than the 870's I've shot because of its releasing bolt design. When you fire the Nova it tries to push the slide back, making it a very fast pump action. Anybody who has shot my Nova has remarked that it is a softy when shooting target and normal 2 3/4" hunting rounds. Yes it kicks more than some gas powered automatics of course (you want soft, try a Beretta 391), but I've shot some very light gas automatics that were more punishing than my Nova.
Take it from somebody that owns one, that "more kick" stuff is nonsense! I'd put its kick up against a Mossy 500, Rem 870, Winny 1300, etc, etc any day. Give that 20GA a try, you'll see what I mean. :)
That's my 2 cents....

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I am going to harp on this again lol. Why in hades nine hells would anyone feel the need to shoot 3 1/2 shells for duck or geese???? Your really will not see a significant difference if you shoot ethically and at ranges that you can truely hit your target at. I realise that you will get a little denser shot pattern, but market hunters of the past often uses 1 oz loads with no problem - why - because they shot enough to be competent!!!! All that the 3 1/2 shell does for many folks is give them a false feeling that they can take birds out at ranges that they should not even be shooting at in the first place!! Look around you this season and just watch all the sky blasters to prove my point. The additional kick of these rounds will make most shooters worse shots, and more birds will get crippled! Just my 2 cents lol go ahead and flame me hehe :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts