Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The full story: I have an old Savage 67F pump 12. It shot well and I was usually able to hit where I was pointing it. BUT it had the original hard plastic butt-plate (ouch). So I spent the $$ and got a Pachmyar decelerator. measured 5 times, eyed it up 5 more times and cut the stock and got the new pad in place and straight. I noticed that the original plate actually was not on straight, and it had signs it was a home-brew job so I figured I fixed an old mistake. OK. So go out to pattern the gun today and it is consistently shooting left, 3 different loads. It shoots about 8-10 inches left at 20 yards now. Is straightening out the angle of the butt pad what caused this? I wouldn't think a soft pad would effect the POI or would it? I have the cut off piece from the stock and could duplicate the old angle if that would fix it; but before I start hacking and hewing again I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
What did you mean when you wrote that you "straightened out the angle" of the butt/pad?

Was it the "pitch" that you changed? (See "Hopefully useful shotgun definitions" in the "New Shotgunners" section for a definition of pitch.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand that definition of pitch correctly, no. I take it that means the angle of the butt to the bore in a vertical (as shouldered) plane. No this butt plate was angled left to right as having cast-off built into the butt rather than the stock? The "cheek" side (left) of the stock is ever so slightly longer than the outer (trigger hand) side. It is like when someone shortened this stock they cut the butt off at a 90 degree angle by laying the gun on a band saw table; but since the stock is tapered that means the angle is not divided equally between the faces. My eyeball inadvertently corrected this and I cut it truly flat with about 1 1/2 degrees at each side.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I patterned my gun and was shooting left, figured it was due to thick cheeks. Just recently had an adjustable comb installed, havent had a chance to pattern again to see if it helped any.

Hope you get it shooting straight again!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Magoo;

You cut the stock correctly. The butt should be horizontally perpendicular with the barrel.

The only way to accurately pattern a gun is with the use of a bench rest similar to those used when shooting a rifle. It must allow a steady hold while aiming the shotgun like a rifle and slowly pulling the trigger as you would when shooting a rifle.

The gun is aimed while looking along the center of the rib or with the front bead appearing to rest on the center of the top of the action.

Thirteen yards is a good distance from the muzzle to the pattern board. The distance of the pattern's hole from a plus drawn on the pattern board can be trebled to find where the center of the pattern will impact at 40 yards.

If the gun shoots straight this way, you are doing something to pull your shots to the left when shooting offhand.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The patterning baord at my range has no bench. I may try some rounds off of X-sticks. It may be shooting where it ought, I could have been always flinching it right the way that plastic butt bites, though now I am holding-on better. I may whittle some wedges to try under the new pad to see if that tweaks it over.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Close your eyes and mount the gun, when it is comfortable open your eyes and see if the bead is in line with the breech. Then try quickly mounting the gun with eyes open and see if you come up with the same image....

If the view is off center then the correct fix is probably in adjusting the cast, (left to right). You can build up the side of the stock with various home made or retail pads to move your cheek away from the center line of the barrel, or sand it down to move it closer to the center line.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
By sandbagging your gun, you will find out where it shoots. Ive never really cared where my gun shoots, but where I shoot my gun. lol

What I do when patterning my gun is take a large piece of paper (butcher paper, wrapping paper), draw about a 4 inch circle in the middle of it, color it in, step back about 20 yards and bring the gun up to my shoulder and fire 5 rounds at the circle.

Then I go and find the center of impact, take a pen with a piece of string attached and draw a circle around it. Compare that to my point of aim..

My pattern shows me the "thick cheek" theory I mentioned earlier. As far as height, thats about where I want it, as I like to see my target, not cover it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the hints. I tried shouldering it with my eyes closed and at first everything seemed good. After a few tries though I noticed I am mounting it close into my armpit, habit from muzzleloading days and steel horned butt. So as I mount it that way I am rotating the gun a little counter-clockwise. Though the bead was aligned with the receiver it was turned left a BCH. I won't get to the range till Sunday and see if I can figure how to hold this thing right. Will keep yins posted how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts